Need Help from the "Big Saw" Guys

Nice!

Learning how to become a good timber faller was definitely learned the hard way for me. My boss took me out and showed me a few techniques and gave me a few safety pointers then turned me loose. I was 22 years old and worked myself to death almost every day trying to produce enough volume to keep up with the big boys. It wasn't until I started to slow myself down and try to really understand everything that was happening with my saw and the physics of falling trees that I started to really learn. I had been falling trees for probably 2 years before someone explained what that line around my saw was for...

I started out goofy filing and while I could make it cut I don't feel I ever got real good at it. Next I bought a Simington swing arm chain grinder and learned how to use it. My next move was a Silvey pro sharp and chisel files. I don't consider myself an expert but I manage to get by. Oh, and round filing is still very new to me.

By goofy, do you mean square-filed chisel chain?

I've never learned to file it. I like it square, out of the box, but file and grind round on chisel and semi-chisel.

I waited too long to put a filing vise on the chipper.

Yes, chisel chain but the file is like a flat file with rounded sides that cut. Similar to the chisel bit file but the chisel bit comes out to a sharp point.

The bolts did fine. The cast mount broke. Then the bolt holding the vise to the mount loosend. Mount and bolts stayed on the fender....vise took flight. Those three bolts hold only the mount. There are only two holding the vise unless the track portion breaks, unknowingly, then only one bolt the vise swivels on.

Vibration driving down the road? New vices are cheap ass f-ck. I've broken a couple of Canadian tire ones in my shop just using them.

Apologies for this interruption, Peter.

Bump, for new members

Like everybody else says, thanks for this great bump, Cory. This thread is pure gold. Don't know how I missed it earlier. What a wealth of experience. I'm saving this thread as a bookmark in my browser.

Thanks to Butch, also.

Tim

I found an old Olympia vice, somewhere in Olympia. Probably a garage sale. Looks like they're top of the line. I can get them at Home Depot!

I'll secure it well.

Anybody use a stump vise?

Bajeebuzz! Any idea what caused that Stephen?

Rough roads, vibration tears shat up around my parts. Lots of wash board dirt roads and the pavement ain't much better. For example, 1800.00 in repairs today on the wife's car. Tore up all the front bushings, tie rods, a arm bushings and the power steering rack. Trucks are the way to go up here. Little cars, not so much.
You bolt something to the outside of a car or trailer, beware.
I can't tell you how many fender bolts I have replaced over the years.

JED...

I just re-read this thread...very good one, BTW.

I don't think you ever did answer why your boss' saw was cutting crooked?????

Well????

What a wealth of experience. I'm saving this thread as a bookmark in my browser.

ha, it was in my reading list for ages cuz I didn't want to lose sight of it.

I don't think you ever did answer why your boss' saw was cutting crooked?????

Well????

Just btw, my 395 had a chain filed to its half life, it looked perfect but it cut like garbage. So duh I finally put on a new bar with that same chain. Tried it today and Whoppee it cut like a monster and arrow straight. I put a new tip on the old bar, filed the burrs (which were not severe which is why I wasn't sure if the problem was the bar or the chain) and am eager to see if the new tip solves the issues with that bar. The old tip was quite wobbly.

Find a vise with a solid base, one that does not swivel. Tho not as handy but solid. I picked up this old Columbian for dirt. Image 2.jpg

I have a couple of heavy duty vices.

Removed them from my workshop when I moved. I have yet to fit this one yet but it is very heavy.

Attachments

• IMG_6995.jpg
    IMG_6995.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 21
Back