More HH questions from a first time SRT'er

The HAAS is slick, and the deluxe method. I started using my set-up after seeing some of Jamie/ Porkbrick's videos a bit back in one of the threads. I had three or four handled ascenders, and wanted to get my toothed ascenders under the hitch in case of a fall, and to avoid the footloop, and to be able to go hand over hand rather than inchworm. I started seeing the HAAS later.

My homemade setup is identical in function to the HAAS, but not as fancy/adjustable. It is just the right size for me, though, and packs up much smaller than the HAAS, which I like a lot. Good to see someone making a nice easy adjustable system available for the masses.

I like Nh Local's set up. It was a recent video with the HH, Pantin, and knee ascender with a DMM Revolver. I know there have been others here using the same or very similar set up. His system is compact which is of course nice. Once you have ascended you can use the knee ascender/basic and Revolver for long limb walks creating 2:1 advantage.

So it sounds like 10mm bee line hitch cord will work out fine for Vortex 12.7mm climbing line on HH ?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I saw the Haas after I had got my basic and revolver to set up the knee ascender like Dave's.

Used my 'home made' system yesterday: right foot pantin, basic with home made footloop for the knee ascender and a bungee cord between the two that I pass through a small maillon on the waist belt of my harness.
When I get up to height I take it all off except the pantin and stuff the components into a little bag on the back of my belt, then I can use the basic and revolver when I need them for limbwalking.

I really need a new rope and am looking hard at the Vortex...

Lovin the HH and the HOSS (HAAS) system, just walk up the tree so smooth, game changer for me, exp. in getting up the big pines

Have had a few climbs this week with my Hitch Hiker on Vortex. I got it dialed in just right and it is a fantastic tool! Switching from Srt to Drt so effortlessly is a big advantage and time saver while aloft. The HH creates such dynamic possibilities while working the tree. I now see why the rigging plates are needed for bridge attachment instead of rings. Another great climbing device which makes work more fun again! Thumb Up.

I know I have enthusiasm about it still never ceases to amaze me still!
My biggest enjoyment is never un-twisting double line. :D:D

The days I use all three of Paul's devises, I just get this big ol grin when I hit the ground.....

I think the memory of the WC GTG when I got to try the Wraptor and meet Paul and a bunch of other great people helps...... ;)
Can't help but feel grateful about how much easier my job had gotten with his innovation.

The tech for climbing seems to have just taken leaps and bounds over the last few years... I mean just the HC pulley when it came out... That was amazing itself and still is.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm liking the increased range of options I have now with the HH available to me.

Curious...when you guys switch to DdRT do you find it heavy at all and how's the one handed tending compared to the HC?
I just have not gotten around to using it doubled, I make a decision on the ground to go HH or HC for the particular tree.

Bermy I just replaced my hitch cord on Friday , occurred to me that I hadn't taken it off for about 2 months. I climb probably about 50/50 double to srt

Looking good Scott. :thumbup:
Fiona, I switch back and forth from SRT to Ddrt all the time with the HH. The difference in friction between the HH and the HC pully is pretty negligible. Especially with an FS. I just carry one extra biner for the working end on my belt that usually doubles as something in my SRT system like the link on the double handled ascender tether.
Adding the DMM BAT rigging plate to my bridge gives me enough connection points.
The one thing I miss about the HC is the one piece of kit both connections are made on with the FH and how I only have to unclip on connection for the Ddrt redirect. But the SRT advantage more than makes up for it.

I still love my HC for pruning a tree. Tied with a vt and rope sleeve/fs it is really fun to see how fast I can get it done. Just ordered some spare Beeline for the HH so looking forward to a few safe but fast long descents.

Back