replace oem stihl fuel lines

Cut4fun

Redneck Chainsaw Repair
For you guys that have been held hostage by stihl and their fuel lines and fuel filters.

I give my guys a choice. Rednecked, aftermarket, OEM. Their choice. They also hear the prices with each. :O

The way this idea come to me was one Sunday in 2011. Buddy smoked his 036, brought his 250 over that he was trying to finish up the firewood cutting for the day. His 250 stopped on him wouldnt restart. Remember it is Sunday.
So I tell him bring it over for a look see and drink some beer. Well found the problem was the top part of fuel line had got those hairline cracks in it and was seeping. Told him I had to order fuel line for it. So we drink some more brew and he was saying how he would like to finish cutting today. So I drink some more and once I had a good buzz I came up with the idea and ran it past him. He was like sure do it. He left and reported no problems worked great.
1st one I ever done 2011 and worked like a charm. Now I even do it on the pro saws or what ever I can with molded special fuel lines.

Been doing this on Pro saws as well. ;)

Just cut both ends of line from tank grommet. Reuse grommet shown below.

ms250redneckfuelline010_zpsa6cb3e31.jpg

ms250redneckfuelline005_zps4f408924.jpg

ms250redneckfuelline020_zpsc88d3121.jpg

ms250redneckfuelline002_zps68f3e716.jpg

ms250redneckfuelline004_zps66e11a3d.jpg

ms250redneckfuelline001_zpsa5650d07.jpg

Nice idea, but doesn't the yellow line bend sharply when you put the filter end back in the tank?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Nice idea, but doesn't the yellow line bend sharply when you put the filter end back in the tank?

:? filter housing is on it in last pic. First couple pics was before housing and pulling enough line out to make turn. Works great and no problems.

Did this on a MS390 not long ago. Reason being the aftermarket line pinched and shut off fuel flow. No oem line on hand.
Guy needed his saw and it was a Sunday. I ran this idea by him and he was on his way cutting again. ;)

Using part of old line like grommet work sometimes. Other times you need to get creative.
In extreme cases I clued original hole shut and made a new one.

There is always a way...

To prevent hose collapsing in bends, springs is a great thing. Inside line is best, but can work outside as well.
I use ball point pen springs a lot.

I did this on 268 husky etc too to get away from the molded line they used.

Used the parts through the tank and carb area.

moldedfuellinefix 002 - Copy.JPG

My 461 got caught up in the recent Stihl recall. I got a registered letter on Tuesday...
Apparently there is a chance they were assembled with the fuel line pinched...might leak. Had to take two saws into the dealer, mine and the one off the fire truck. Might get them back in a week...

Back