Brummel Chain Redirect

bonner1040

Nick from Ohio
I saw a picture where a climber was using a webbing daisy chain as fixed re-direct. It was static and an alpine butterfly was tied in the climbing line and it was clipped to the daisy chain.

I dont have a daisy chain lying around so I made this up. I took a piece of 8mm TVP cord from All Gear, doubled it up and put 2 locked brummels (2 sets of 2) into the cord creating the eye at the end. A series of eyes just over an inch are all separated by the same set of 4 brummels. The last eye is closed with the locked brummels and then a 6 inch bury. Its lock stitched and heatshrinked.

I am guessing that loading the brummel as opposed to the eye as you would in a traditional sense will derate the cordage more significantly. My assumption though is that this is going to be way less than some of the knots we use every day.

What do you all think?

Screen%2520Shot%25202013-08-04%2520at%25204.03.29%2520PM.png

Screen%2520Shot%25202013-08-04%2520at%25204.03.40%2520PM.png

Screen%2520Shot%25202013-08-04%2520at%25204.03.53%2520PM.png

Poor man's Snakeanchor.... Cool idea. I bet it would be fine as a redirect.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
It wouldnt provide the 'screamer' effect that the snake anchor does, but I never saw that as appealing, to me.

I should have one break tested. I will have an opportunity this weekend, maybe I will. So far the one I made is handy, I used it as a redirect and a swa strap for the 460!

thats what led me to looking up this old thread. i got some 7mm tech cord from westmarine yesterday. im going to try stitching the slots a la the snake anchor. ill post pics if i get it done.

Hey nick have you got around to break testing it ?
I recently had an issue with my aerial rescue at the german comp, i made an inline anchor by clipping a pulley into the spliced eye off my foot lock sling (locking brummel) and moved to the victim only to be told when i was nearly to him that it wasn't allowed and i had to go back and change my system.
I would be really interested in how loading the splice directly effects the breaking strength surely it would hold up better then a knots breaking strength.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
It does much better with tenex than TVP or other class 2s. I have broken many of them.

3brummels also breaks better than 2. Feel free to email me. Nick @"where I work".com

Incredidible isn't it? I've been climbing 20 years and yet haven't a goddam clue what any of youse are talking about.
I know, I know it's my fault, I should keep up, but surely I'm not the only one?

Back