No mas 372s

I'm not a fan of the 262 myself. But some swear by them for a firewood cutting saw (cult following IMO). I ran my like new 262xp and poulan 3750 back to back in the woods cutting up hardwoods one day and me and the other cutter both preferred the poulan 3750 over the 262.

I LOVED my 262xp, but I wouldn't own another! The coils are junk, and expensive, and they are notorious for hard to find vacume leaks! When they ran, they were a great saw, but now, I'll take a ported Dolmar 5100 over one any day, maybe even a stock one! Just not worth the effort!
If I were to have one saw right now, I'd buy a 562 from what I've heard. Light, compact and enough power to run a 28" bar. Just my opinion.

So, what is the cut off date for OE + NE.
My current 372 has always taken 12 pulls to start when cold.. I guess it just doesn't bother me. . I've run the snot out of that saw and its still in great shape. . I've cut with it down to 45 below. Its great. But you have to tape over the bottom half of the starter cover. My 371 was easier starting as was my first 372 . . But. . That's jus the way it goes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
12 pulls when cold is a lot but ok I guess. No fun to pull 8x when warm. Cutting at 45 below, was that just to see if it could be done, doesn't sound productive?

I traded 2 372s and got a 562 and 576, we will see how they do.

No. I came up with the name Cold Logging one morning when heating up my Terex front end loader. . It was 42 below. I try to Not go to the woods when winter logging when its colder than 35 below. But that doesn't work out often. The demand for firewood here is amazing. And very few people log and sell firewood here.

I think the coldest I've fell and logged a couple cord truck load was around 47 below. That's cold. But I was hungry.
It's not super productive. But, it worked out.

Here in northern Manitoba I have logged many days at 45 below, we can get a month straight of that temp so a day off is not good especially right before Christmas.
Production? Falling is excellent when the tops break off when the spruce hits the ground, Skidder runs the limbs off with the tires.
Steel molecure structure changes after that temp, hard on planeteries and walking beam pins.

Glad it's worked well for u guys. I've never liked cutting frozen wood, couldn't get chain to cut well, it wore me out. 20 above was my fav logging temp.

Glad it's worked well for u guys. I've never liked cutting frozen wood, couldn't get chain to cut well, it wore me out. 20 above was my fav logging temp.
Chisel chain file the top angle about 20 degree, drags at about 10-15 and file handle down at 10 degree
Semi chisel is a good choice too without these specs, just run what it calls for all year round.

If your in clean wood chisel ground or correctly chisel filed chain is Always the best choice. . But definatly keep your top at 30°or less and 20°would be nice and smooth. Also. A top at that angle is very nice to your bar rails and groove. When I can I run semi skip chisel. . Keep your rpm up so you are pumping as much oil as possible. Snow is an enemy of bars and chains. That's why I often run 16-20" bars in the winter less expense when they get destroyed from the snow.

I have a highly modified Husky that was like twelve pulls. It really should have a larger carb on it now or bigger jets or sumpin. Running a tad richer and shortening the hose seemed to help, now it is like 8-10 pulls. :lol: Ornery cuss is my favorite saw. Sometimes taking a break between pulls also seems to help.

I have the fondest place in my heart for the old 372's but I've heard too much that bothers me about husky lately. We recently switched to stihl, but still run older huskys. I haven't used a 576, but I didn't like the older 575. My next 70cc class saw will be an ms461, and I'm still a husky man at heart

The new huskys are even better then the old ones, and I am a Husky fan of all generations of saws. I have 2 series, 3 series, and 5 series. Don't go on what you hear, go on how hard the chips spray at your boots. The engineering in the new husky's is top shelf.

I hope you are right!! Should be clearing a small lot tmrw so should be a good test site.

I have a highly modified Husky that was like twelve pulls. It really should have a larger carb on it now or bigger jets or sumpin. Running a tad richer and shortening the hose seemed to help, now it is like 8-10 pulls. :lol: Ornery cuss is my favorite saw. Sometimes taking a break between pulls also seems to help.

The 266 would really snort when ported and a 2100 Carb was put on it.

I remember when electric starters entered the motorcycle world. It was a big thing, just sitting there to go vroom. Saws would be cool.

Great if you can sort out linkage problems with larger carbs, and there is room. Can't go too big though, unable to lean it out enough is what I found.

And working in 45 below sounds insane! The coldest that I've ever seen was about 3 years ago it stayed 18 for 3 days. Nobody went outside. We called off work. Hell, it didn't even freeze here last "winter"

Ive logged in 20 below. The work wasn't bad because my skidder was heated with a radio, and that job didn't have any hand cutting. The timbco ate that job. Hardest part was machine repairs in the cold and getting everything running in the morning.

The word that comes to my mind for Timbcos is: Fearsome....

So glad to get rid of those junk 372s. I only cut a couple trees today with the 576 but so far it is great, less than a tank thru it so presumably will get a little better too. What a freakin thrill to pick up a new saw, start it with 3 pulls and have it rip into wood like a chainsaw should. Those damn 372s aged me. I haven't tried the 562 yet but now I'm thinking just switch it for another 576, cuz even though folks say it rips I presume it won't out cut the 576 and the 6 seems light enough for full time use, like a 372 used to be, so I probably don't need a smaller type saw

Back