No mas 372s

cory

Tree House enthusiast
I've got 3 new 372s a few months ago, they still have original chains on them. They suck. Not much power and usually very hard to start. Ive wanted to smash them many times. They don't compare to old 372s which have legendary performance and durability. So I'm thinking of switching to a 576 and/or 562s. I hear the '62s scream but I dont know if they would like a 24" bar which is what I run. Any thoughts on '62s or '76s? Any body want to make offer on my 372s?

Happy_Oranges_by_Kay_Johanna.jpg

They probabley have the mufflers choked down and are set lean .Not lean enough to cook them but enough they don't have any power.

Do a little muffler carving and retune them ,probabley wake right up .

Cory, to get the satisfaction you want with a 24" bar I would highly recommend the 576. The 562 can do it. I think you would find the 562 is maxed out with a 24" bar though, whereas the 576 would be right in its prime with a 24" bar.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Chris, do you run both models, the 562 and 576?

Deva, yeah the 272s were great too. My older 372s which were excellent were I'm guessing 4-7 years old.

Al, I aint sure how to muffler carve.

I don't own a 576 but logged with one for a few months. Heavy, but one of the smoothest saws Ive ever touched and powerful. I own a 562 and if I had to give up all but one saw, that would be what I kept. If you are making several purchases, I'd recommend both saws. If looking primarily for a weapon for a 24" bar, the 576 is it. Its a good saw. I would say its a stronger saw then an original 372.

Good info, thanks Chris.

Nothing to carving a muffler .Remove all the baffles and screen ,cut out all the diverters and make the outlet or outlets about 80 percent the area of the exhaust port .Retune the saw so it is slightly 4 cycling at wide open throttle and go cut wood .

If it runs lousey already you don't have anything to loose any way .It will surely get better .--wear your ear plugs now --

To me the 576 auto tune cut like a 80cc class saw. Just that the auto tunes don't seem to like 90F and above hot weather with lots of humidity.
But then the engineers at Husqvarna in Sweden are probably saying a chainsaw operator shouldn't be running a saw in 90F with lots of humidity:D

I've got 3 new 372s a few months ago, they still have original chains on them. They suck. Not much power and usually very hard to start. Ive wanted to smash them many times. They don't compare to old 372s which have legendary performance and durability.

My offer of FREE labor so I can learn too. Nobody around here running NE XT's that I know of only OE still. NE = new edition, OE = old edition.

Pick the worst one of the bunch. If you pay the shipping round trip to and from. I'll donate my time (when I get customers rebuilds done and I have spare time) to look into this to see whats going on. I know they had the hard starting and bad crank bearing issues. But I have never heard a lack of power in the cut from the NE XT 372.
I have yet to be into a NE 372 X-torq and have rebuilt several OE 372 and have access to a bunch to compare to.

As long as time unlimited on your end too. I dont want to be on a set schedule and have to hurry.

Hey Cut4fun, I've been away for a few days, just saw this, that is a fantastic offer, thank you! At this point though I am leaning toward trading in 2 of them probably for no more than $300 apiece and getting a 562 and a 576. The saws have been so annoying I just don't want to think about them anymore. I don't like having a whole lot of saws, prefer just a 201, 372, and 395 to handle everything but since the 372 is no longer viable for me I'll try the two new ones and see. On the Buzz someone said try the blue ignition instead of the black one to cure the hard starting, does that ring a bell with you?

Never heard of trying a blue limited coil to help hard starting.

Just read this..... 2172 is a 372 XT

I had to adjust the metering lever up on my 2172 to get it to idle correctly. Pressure/vac tested good on it. Crank bearings blew on it eventually. Other loggers around me had problems with the 372xt's(same as 2172) blowing bearings. I won't buy another. I had some old school 372's laying around and a 2171 I put new bearings and top ends. The old school 371'372s would take a heck of beating. Now I'm mostly using the 562's and 390xp. I've had my share of issues with the 562's also but warranty and a good dealer fixed everything without a hassle. I would tell your friend to take it to the dealer and have them pressure/vac test it.

While we are on the topic, do you have any feedback on 576s?

Not me. That would be Willard and others that own them.

I only tested a regular carb version at one of my gtg's when they were new out. What I remember is, heavier then my old 372's, but felt stronger in the cut with longer bars. Cant remember if it was 28 32 36 ran that day. No long term info.

Unless it ends up like a 540 and drags on and on and on. There is a new autotune version of the replacement for 372's being tested. I'm calling it 572. Dealers demoing and them folks testing talking it up big time..

(((((((any news on the new 572 coming out yet?))))))

dealer (((((((NO!! and not soon enough,all these 372's blowing up is getting really old...just sayin.)))))))

Sorry to butt in, but we run 372xp's all day long,,we like them.
Interesting topic.
Jeff, only one apostrophe.
:)

The old style 372's I've owned/own were honestly what I believe to be the perfect chainsaw. I never once had one single problem. Cory, you'll like the 576. The smoothness is a bit to get used to. Its easy to get cut with one because you don't feel the chain warning you. What I mean by that is that on a typical saw, when using the nose of the bar, a skilled sawyer can feel the chain wanting to kick the saw around and know when to back off or reposition the saw. A 576 is so smooth that you don't feel the chain talking to you. With that said, they kick like any other saw, but you don't tend to feel the warning of the chain bouncing it chattering.

My 562 has got hundreds of hours on it so far and has yet to act up. I did run someone else's fuel mix in it recently of low octane gas and rich on the two stroke oil. I certainly did not run at its peak.

I appreciate all the info, fellas.

@ cory

there is a guy on my site that listed these. look like the OE 372's in pics

Have two 372xp saws for sale. Completely rebuilt from the crank bearings up. Every thing works as it should.

Also have 3 Husqvarna 261s rebuilt and converted to 262XP.

372s $250 plus ship 262s $185 plus ship

I've never bought a used saw. What could I expect out of that 262 compared to a new one, I guess the 2 big criteria would be performance and longevity. Ha, and ease of starting.

Back