used cranes

PCTREE

Treehouser
OK so Im starting to think about buying a cheap crane. Does anybody have any advice as to what I should be looking for in terms of the boom / turntable etc itself??

1) Rear mount
2) Up to date Certification
3) Over 20 tons
4) Functional jib and removable bucket
5) Wish List - All wheel drive.

:rockon:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have yet to see a rear mount for sale. I have a line on a Manitex 2280 with no jib, so 22 ton with 80' of stick for $25k. Exciting but scary too. Would need to teach Robby my ground guy to operate it and get another ground guy....

Need to look into insurance and all that jazz

I would think it would be easier to teach a guy to climb for the crane than teach him to run it for TDs.

Call Rich Mitchell at Altec, he can find u a good used one. I had a line on a nice 26t but didn't pull the trigger.

Btw, doesn't your crane guy charge you mad low rates?? Maybe youll make the most money if you keep renting?

Cranes are rarer up here. 50 to 100g second hand for a 22 and up. I keep my eyes open. I'll have one for sure one day. Restrictive here too different class of license and a ticket to operate. If I could get 80 of live boom for that price I think I'd be in.

The main reason Im thinking about this is my crane operator is retiring in 2 years. I need to start preparing for that sad sad day..

I have never ran a crane but I have never been able to hire a competent climber either. My buddy in DC (who owns the 22ton) says that it is not hard to run? Im still not sure about this, funny thing is Ropetek was supposed to help me ease out of the trees but I just keep getting busier and busier and I was thinking that this would make it easier/ more enjoyable.

Ideally I would put a remote control grapple on it!!

Paul, are you buying it from a dealer that services and cert's lift equipment? If not check to make sure inspections are up to date. Look at the pedestal closely. Pull all the wire off the drum and check that for kinks, interior rust, etc (this tells you alot about the maintenance) look for gouges and play in the upper sheave. Make sure there is no bleed off in the Boom, out riggers/stabilizers.

There was a recall on some manitex canes. Cracks in the turret house. Beware...... I think you may to remove paint and sprinkle magnetic dust on to see

After working with my kboom I will not purchase another "crane" under 100' of height. A rear mount would be sweet but they seem hard to come by. I also think a 20 ton is a minimum. Good luck on your search

All depends on your work. I've seen many a tree company rock a 23 to 26 ton, and do just about everything with it expect those big crazy jobs. And that's a behind the cab mount, a rear mount has a lot more capability.

You can do alot with a 23t and 104' of main.

dont forget the swing out jib!!

That crane there is a bit outa my price range, I have never financed equipment and was hoping not to start now...

Lots of jobs here with the jib on. Only being able to pick relatively light is way better than not making the reach at all.

Back