Coast Redwood Tree of Dreams and Fortune

I had some time to page through Jer's book, life has been crazy since TCIA with moving and all. I am constantly impressed by the Beraneks! The knowledge, experience, and passion for the trees shows in every page. Not to mention the ability to capture such large trees in beautiful scaled photographs.

Truly impressive, I can't wait to read more!

Beautiful book!
WesSpur had them on sale (Deal of the Day) yesterday (checked a couple of minutes ago - says there are 7 still available) for $27.50!!!

Jerry, you outta offer your book to libraries - I bet they'd love to have a couple copies, if only they knew about them

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Got that base covered, Butch. Our local library has Jer's books. In fact, so does one of the school libraries in Mendocino, and the other school will get a copy as soon as I have the chance to take it there. Hard to do when I work full time, but it'll happen eventually.

Incredible photos in this book. Flipping through it at the Expo was such a tease. Mr. and Mrs. B, I'm still awaiting mine from David, huge thanks for thinking of me as I didn't get to catch up with either of you before the end of the show. Too cool. When I think of Ashlee and I in thirty years, I'd be a happy camper to end up like ya'll.

Jerry, you outta offer your book to libraries - I bet they'd love to have a couple copies, if only they knew about them

We donated one to the Danish forestry school's library.

Maybe that'll inspire some future loggers to visit California on a tree pilgrimage like we've done.

When I think of Ashlee and I in thirty years, I'd be a happy camper to end up like ya'll.

Wow, that's a great compliment, Brian, Thank you! If you could see us today you may change your mind about that. We've both been sick in bed for a week. Jer has pneumonia and was finally able to get antibiotics yesterday. I just have a really bad cold. All through this illness we've been taking care of each other and musing about what a site for sore eyes we are!

I bet, two sick people trying to take care of each other - you guys must really like each other. :)

I've never had pneumonia, but Ashlee got it years back. She didn't take antibiotics until the 5th or 6th day, and was even down for a few weeks total. Poor thing.

Rest and fluids, get well soon!

I had pneumonia many years ago. I let it get pretty bad before getting to the antibiotics (ended up in the hospital briefly). It took about 4 weeks for me to fully recover. Truly no fun.

Hope you both get better quickly! You're definitely fortunate to have each other to rely on. :)

Redwood lung?

Heal Up, Jerry. My friend, about your age, stepped into a little hole while walking to his Kboom controls, felling with ribs on the fuel tank. Broken ribs put him in the hospital, then back a month later for fluid. Luckily his wife heard him that night. Had she not, he might not have made it through the night without the hospital. Talking to him on the phone was like talking to someone 40 years older. Soft and weak voice. I think they took a gallon out of his abdomen.

Different kinda injury, but sometimes discomfort from an injury can mask other symptoms. Point being, take any symptoms during your recovery seriously, please.

Had pneumonia in the late 80's. I could only say about one word per breath. You know me well enough to know that was a severe disease!!!!!!

Redwood lung

For lack of a better term, redwood lung aptly describes the asthma Jerry has from the years of inhaling redwood dust. It definitely attributes to the complications he experiences from colds. A simple cold can be horrible for him.

Cedar as done the same to me in all my yrs of building in between tree work. I have always had Asthma, but any cold turns into Bronchitis or Pneumonia. The last few yrs with young ones have been hell!
I feel for ya Ger! Lots of fluids and Garlic has always helped me. Since I started a tsp/day of Honey, things have been better. Close to a yr now.

Fluids is real important for asthma, I believe. Garlic, how do you take it, Bud? I've been reading up on asthma a lot, because I think I got a touch of it last winter as a result of running to a train station one very cold night. Couldn't miss the friggen train. Cold air in the lungs can do that apparently, different from an allergy type asthma that gets it going. It has hung on for over a year, going through different stages. Not wanting to go to a doctor because I know they often want to treat asthma with steroids. I read a bunch of people recommending taking salt, other than the processed stuff, sea salt or other naturally available salt. I don't know the mechanism, I'm not sure that anybody does, but somehow salt helps open up the constricted air passages. Damn if it hasn't been working real well since I started it a number of days ago, the condition seems much relieved. Just hope the blood pressure doesn't go up and blow out my brain from the salt now. Really, salt! Never would have thought...

Jerry and Mrs. B, both you get well soon, we got to get together next year in Mendocino for some hiking in them Redwoods ;)

Back