My First Post (HH, setup and rope questions)

Ken

Prospect
Hello! everyone,

My name is Ken and this is my very first post here on the Tree House...I've got a few questions about the Hitch Hiker and what i should buy to make it the smoothest system possible (understanding each person has they're own preferences).

First, I'm thinking about getting some 11.7mm cougar blue rope to use with my SJ and the Hitch Hiker (if I Buy one). I want to learn SRT and I like that you can switch between the two systems with the HH. I'm really hoping that someone might be able to send me some clear photos, links etc of what I need to buy for the best results with the Hitch hiker..For example: should I buy a micro pulley? What length of hitch cord? what kind of hitch cord? is Cougar Blue okay with the Hitch Hiker? etc.

I use Samson Blue Streak now with my SJ, would Blue Streak work in the Hitch Hiker?

I guess that's about it, I look forward to meeting many of you here on line...

thanks,
Ken

Welcome Ken!
cougar blue will work just fine with the HH.....and better than blue streak for the SJ (that was my old set up, didnt self tail to good)

others will chime in here soon....i hope :)

Hi, Ken. Have you already read the HH review? I think on Gear Forum. And the HH thread on Climbing Forum? I read those and re-read them like a book, so much good info..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have read most of the HH thread on the gear forum, I'll look at the climbing forum (thanks Merle). However, I find sometimes it's hard for me to decipher what some people mean when they discuss various techniques etc. and lots of times I find that better ideas for how to use a particular piece of equipment develop on the forum over time, so I hoping someone won't mind helping me "cut to the chase" and find some of the better set-ups...if that makes sense?

Ken

Ken the beener trap made from old gaff strap, made a great deal of difference, and works real well with the over the shoulder lanyard for minding on accent.
Welcome to the house! Joel

With my HH I use a Pantin, a Lyon sling with snap gate Karab as a chest harness. I clip the Karab to the harness bridge ring whilst ascending.
It also can be used as a redirect sling with a rated biner.
For bigger trees I use a Petzl hand ascender and foot loop but wish I'd bought a Kong Futura.
That's it. Cheap and simple.

Do I need a beaner trap? I saw a video of someone advancing the HH with a webbing sling over their hand...I think that's what I would use...any recommendations where I should by one (remember I live in Ontario)

Thanks,
Ken

Ken, need=no. The webbing to your hand will work also.
I use a pantin and may experience more friction from the HH because I have a older bridge with fixed points. This before I copied the trap mentioned would allow the attachment biner to rotate slightly in the HH if left lax on accent pulling slack is tough when the biner gets rotated.
For what is worth I'm sure a good hunting dog collar or leather belt would make them also.
It is still very new to me, and with out the threads here I would still be a blakes and split tail climber. Glad to be making the change 100%.

https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=137507919625288

...I've got a few questions about the Hitch Hiker and what i should buy to make it the smoothest system possible ...Ken

Welcome to the TreeHouse, Ken.

One of the great things about the HH, is that what you get from Paul is all you need for a smooth and fully functional system. It should work just fine on the ropes you mentioned with the supplied Beeline. Things like an advancing tether or loop will depend on your particular preferences and climbing style. So, if you still would like specifics on some of the possible support gear combos, it would be good if you could let us know where you are at and where you have been climbing-wise.

David

Okay, so can someone recommended a good place to purchase one?

Ken

Hey Ken, Welcome aboard. Paul is a member of the Treehouse and the owner of Ropetek. He is a super guy and great to work with. I ordered a HH from him with no problems. Is an awesome product.

Hey thanks guys for all the help, it's fantastic...I'm assuming that Paul = CurSedVoyce is that correct? I can't seem to the connection between "CurSedVoyce" and the name Paul...??

Ken

Paul is PCTREE.

Welcome to the house Ken. If you decide to use an advancing tether you can have one made by contacting TreeStuff, or you can make one your self with any 5-8mm cordage and some black tape.

Thanks Nick, glad to have your input, I've read and watched some of your HH recommendations, very interesting. They have lead me to plan on ordering one soon...

Ken

I got a HH and started using it this past week. At this point I mainly use it drt. I had a hard time getting the BeeLine to grab. But several guys on ArbSite helped me out/ encouraged me to keep at it. And one posted a link to this site. And to Bonners yt vids. They were at least very encouraging in that I could see that someone made their HH work. I found the key was to have the orange part toward my chest. I know I'm thick in the head, but it wasn't obvious to me from the instructions. I almost put it up for sale. . I figured out how to tie it and now really like it. Very smooth and secure.

Good on ya that you figured it out. You are ahead of me so far. I have been reading about the HH but have not taken the SRT plunge yet. I will dive in soon, however.

Welcome to the House!!

Back