Splices I've Done

I'll keep that in mind nick. I think I want to do up a new lanyard set up soon. Let me stew on it and think of what I want to use. Any ideas?

Chris, what do you use for a climbing line and what kind of lanyard adjuster do you use?

Guys who like 16 strand tend to not like 24 strand double braid and vice versa.

I'll keep that in mind nick. I think I want to do up a new lanyard set up soon. Let me stew on it and think of what I want to use. Any ideas?

Chris, what do you use for a climbing line and what kind of lanyard adjuster do you use?

Guys who like 16 strand tend to not like 24 strand double braid and vice versa.

Well, I like 24 strand ropes for the most part...I just made a 10mm Armorprus lanyard for a guy at work... Its thin but its nice, and the AP while expensive is pretty durable and plenty strong. I bet you want something thicker though huh?

10mm sounds awesome. id be nervous for a little while but I bet its nice to use. Im currently using XTC Fire through a microcender. Nothing fancy. Maybe smaller diameter would be better..........

I like the Class 1 Double Braid Splice used on Ocean Pacific better than the Class 2 Splice on ArmorPrus. The OP is conisderably less expensive as well. Decide which rope and how long you want it to be and shoot me a PM.

Armor Prus
https://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?category_id=127&item=404

Ocean Pacific
https://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?category_id=127&item=1431

The AP definitely is a fatter 10mm. You can just have Luke send the cordage to me and I will ship it to you when I am done. I would stick with the Microcender if that works for you.

Here are some options as 'pre made' packages.
https://www.treestuff.com/store/products.asp?category_id=163

If you want to have a connector (snap) spliced in, start looking at those too. I use the ISC Twister, it takes a bit of getting used to but its a really nice triple action nice snap.

Twister
https://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?category_id=15&item=1881

It also comes in a non-swivel, or standard double action style. IF you are against the 3rd action, I definitely reccomend the 2-action one vs a traditional snap. The profile of the nose and gate is way better.

3-action w/ swivel
SH905.jpg

2-action w/out swivel
SH901.jpg

OK, will do. I might buy a new mechanical lanyard adjuster. I checked mine and the cam is worn pretty good. In fact, I will buy a new one. I'll have a look at that rope now.

Im going to give an aluminum carabiner a try on my lanyard tomorrow. I have to see how it throws around the tree. Obviously it will throw nicer on a 10mm lanyard than on XTC Fire though. Ive always used an old school steel snap on my lanyard because I can bomb it around the backside of a fat tree pretty well. Maybe an aluminum rig on thinner rope would have comparable performance? Im all ears. You are gadget savvy so I will trust your recommendation.

The swivel snap is way heavier than an aluminum biner... but not as heavy as a steel snap.

The ISC 2 and 3 action aluminum snaps without the swivel arent as heavy... I would think that the Twister (swivel) Snap on a 10mm cord would throw fine. The twister is considerably longer though than a standard steel snap, the ones without the swivel are comparable in length... Its about 7.5 inches to 5.5 inches... here is a video on the ISC snap...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Ljnlg5KqxjM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Like I said it takes a bit getting used to, engaging the front safety first. In use, you dont have to 'activate' the rear palm safety, when you pull the front lower one, your palm automatically pushes the palm safety in. So for all intents and purposes you are simply pulling the front bottom on and then opening the gate.

I love my swivel steel snaps.
Hey Chris, if you have a weight issue, I just carry a 16 oz throw weight in my diddy... Clip into the weight and throw... works a charm.

Chris, you have to remember that Stephen uses a Wraptor.
He'd happily drag a boat anchor up to use for a throw weight:lol:

Chris:

This is the armor prus:

attachment.php

attachment.php

If you wanted a 'basic' aluminium snap like that I am pretty sure I have one that I would be happy to give you.

NOTICE the class 2 splice, that requires the inordinate heat shrink at the throat which covers the whipping and exposed cover tail.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Very easy to finish a class 2 with buried cover looks more professional at the end happy to help out if anyone has any questions.

Back