Stihl MSA 200 C-BQ Cordless Chain Saw

My saw is on a 6" lanyard. That's it, nothing more, nothing less. Have you climbed with this unit? Trimming/pruning work up in a tree? I could be wrong about this tool Magnus, but don't tell me you are right when you don't have the first clue about gear up in a tree.
You assume a lot.
Try chasing facts instead. It is a lot more fun.

I read the thread.

So back on topic, the little 160 lasts me all day at the chipper. So to be fair that is probably 3-3 1/2 hrs. I like it mostly because it is convenient (no pull starting every time you need a quick cut) also it is clean, meaning that gas and oil aren't dripping from it. The only issue I have had is that the chain or possibly the bar will get caught in the kerf. This is very irritating, but doesn't happen often.
Jed, the saw is sold separately from the batteries and the charger. I still think it is a saw that gets used as much as my ground saw, just in different situations.

Acc to Stihl Sweden the 200C is best compared to 150C. I ran them both and must say the 150C out performed 200C pretty well the minutes the 200C can run.
Just for the hell of it i ran the 020 too to get a better spectra.

So back on topic, the little 160 lasts me all day at the chipper. So to be fair that is probably 3-3 1/2 hrs. I like it mostly because it is convenient (no pull starting every time you need a quick cut) also it is clean, meaning that gas and oil aren't dripping from it. The only issue I have had is that the chain or possibly the bar will get caught in the kerf. This is very irritating, but doesn't happen often.
Jed, the saw is sold separately from the batteries and the charger. I still think it is a saw that gets used as much as my ground saw, just in different situations.
How many minutes do you run it during these 3-3 1/2hrs?

I haven't timed it, but I will today. My guess would be it runs in bursts for 25-40 min. My elec RC trucks react the same way, in that if you are running full throttle the whole time you will get 10-18 min of runtime. Whereas if you are throughout the throttle range and only wide open for bursts, the Lipo will last 40-50 min.

When I was looking at the 160 yesterday I was amazed how heavy the battery was apart from the saw.
I can see the good features of a top handle designed where a much stronger battery pack can be hung ffom the climbers saddle and the power cable being the lanyard.
A breakaway plug at the saw that unplugs at lets say 150 lbs would be needed. From how light the Stihl 160 felt without the battery felt pretty impressive.

Do these battery powered saws have a power curve like gas engines do or is it all or nothing? I would like to try one out.

I would like an electric chip truck, but this could be fun :D
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/1im1to-alnw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ahhh, terminology. A strap isn't a lanyard, normally. But one could call it that, I guess. TreeStuff calls it a strap.

I could see what you mean. Around here its usually called a lanyard. But I seem to remember it being called a strap where I grew up.

Its like you calling a face cut an underbed. Just sort of a terminology thing, possibly due to location. Notch, facecut, wedge, underbed......

Well a lanyard is a lanyard with enough to give over arms length and still be attached to the saddle. Those little short guys looks like way to much fiddling around to get it attached back onto the saddle while that top is going over as your hanging on worrying about dropping your saw.

No, not at all. You reach beside you and it snaps onto the saddle. Same effort it took to switch hands that held the saw and let the lanyard slide through your hand to ease the saw down to your feet. Less effort really. Ive used both for years at a time.

Did I rile you as well by doubting the practicality of a semi rigid electric cable running from your blind spot behind you to your hip in a dense tree?

If someone wanted to run a saw at a semi-permanent location, like at a chipper, that didn't require starting or gas and oil maintenance, I think I might look to an electric saw that could plug into a small generator. Obviously, minding the cable would be needed, to some extent. If you have available the more powerful electric saws that are heavy duty, that is. We have them here, both 100 and 200 volt.

Im really thinking about an electric saw. I could see liking it for a lot of different tasks. Sometimes I get tired of yanking a saw started constantly. The noise too. Some days I just like a little peace and quiet.

Please tell me you are kidding buddy. I expect Magnus not to know.

https://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?category_id=65&item=1090#

No, not at all. You reach beside you and it snaps onto the saddle. Same effort it took to switch hands that held the saw and let the lanyard slide through your hand to ease the saw down to your feet. Less effort really. Ive used both for years at a time.

Did I rile you as well by doubting the practicality of a semi rigid electric cable running from your blind spot behind you to your hip in a dense tree?
When I look at those short straps being used doing climbing treework I can only see it as a safety hazard.
When the climber is twisted in a awkward position and shit hits the fan or things don't go as planned that split second of distraction trying to hook it back to the saddles biner could spell disaster.
I've had to let my saw drop to hang on it's bungee lanyard many times over the years to get the hell out of the road or make a quick move.

I never got riled about the electric cable / Lanyard . Only riled because your on your usual pissing match with Magnus.

Aw pissing matches....it takes awhile to work them out sometimes. I've had a few. Currently, i don't have any, at peace with the world. :lol:

Magnus and I horse around. Its nothing serious. Don't let it rile you. Its the internet, not real life. I don't rile him as far as I know, and he doesn't rile me. There's no reason for it to rile you. He and I jest.

Magnus is quite resilient, I admire that quality. Not holding grudges is really a big thing, unless you have a right to, i guess. Pretty amazing what some people say that they forgive.

Magnus is alright by me. I had a few good laughs with him in the one thread about homosexuality where we were joking about taking underwear pictures for each other. I horse around with him. If I truly didn't like him at this point, I wouldn't talk to him.

Back