Stihl MSA 200 C-BQ Cordless Chain Saw

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I called the local dealers (3 shops) and 1 had no clue what I was talking about. 1 was not interested in ordering one for me, and the other said the MSA 200 is not out yet.

He had the msa 160 in stock. $350. I'm giving her a shot.

Well that is strange like I said earlier, they are definitely out here.

Good luck with it, should suit your type of work. I won't be getting one of those, even if Bud likes his, I need a bit more power. Haven't had a chance to get to my Stihl dealer yet and I won't deal with the one near here.

There was a thread about the 160C. https://www.masterblasterhome.com/showthread.php?16399-stihl-msa-160-C

MSA 200C.jpg

Im thinking about this saw again. Does anyone know if you can swap the crappy tiny chain for 63pm? I dont want another size chain to deal with as i have a roll of 63.

Bud: if the battery lasts about as long as a tank of gas for a 170?..... they must come with two batteries eh? Can you charge em' off of a vehicle?

Wow: That'd be funny if we were all running around which little electric top-handles pretty soon.

Im thinking about this saw again. Does anyone know if you can swap the crappy tiny chain for 63pm? I dont want another size chain to deal with as i have a roll of 63.
I'm afraid the larger 63 chain will really kill the battery quick. I've tested that little extended pitch 1/4" chain on larger saws and it cuts good and still holds up well. Seeing the battery saw has no clutch getting a standard Picco 3/8 sprocket to fit would be unavailable unless you did a red neck custom job

I ran this the other week.
I think it was 12 minutes run time continually in wood if I remember correct.
Pretty bulky...

I don't see the use for these. If you have a back pack battery then I see a clear advantage, but not really with battery in it.

How long will that back pack and cable last up in a tree before people throw it out? A cable is 100% useless up in a tree.

How long will that back pack and cable last up in a tree before people throw it out? A cable is 100% useless up in a tree.
Pellenc that I tested I doubt you can cut cable of unless you cut a body part or line you hang from. Pellenc is designed for tree work, the others, not so much....
I was skeptic to this but I could not find any way that it disturbed me.

This was the only one I could try with battery pack, but unless they screw up in design I really doubt it is worse than the saws with battery inside saw.

I never said cut the cable. That cable would hang up on limbs constantly. Unless you've worked aloft, it wont make sense. That gadget wouldn't make it 20 feet up a pin oak prune.

I never said cut the cable. That cable would hang up on limbs constantly. Unless you've worked aloft, it wont make sense. That gadget wouldn't make it 20 feet up a pin oak prune.
If you talk about other than Pellenc I can't disagree as I have not tested or seen them with back pack battery.
But is you do talk about Pellenc I strongly disagree. But I guess you have tried it and talk of experience as I do so we just simply disagree.
I would like to know how you get it snagged in anything more than your saw gets snagged in as this is likely also hooked up.

I would like to know how you get it snagged in anything more than your saw gets snagged in as this is likely also hooked up.
Well said Magnus. Yes we do teather our saws to our saddles with a lanyard. Maybe we could build the battery pack cable into the lanyard..............

On the subject of the 200 cordless saw I was at my Stihl dealer today and the saw is available in Canada plus we looked at the IPL and there is a 3/8 Picco sprocket available for it and the 160/180.

Cool. Thanks for that info. I think something like it would be cool for the groundie to nip the brushy tops off a long limb, get rid of them fast and leave the rest for me to handle with the mini loader when i return to the ground. Either that or a rear handled 200. I really need some saw upgrades, but will give it time to think.

Tucker: You shouldn't be pruning Pin Oaks anyway brotha'. Strictly R.T.G. brotha'. (Remove To Grade)

I know... I know... "Sure that'd be nice, but"...

Cool. Thanks for that info. I think something like it would be cool for the groundie to nip the brushy tops off a long limb, get rid of them fast and leave the rest for me to handle with the mini loader when i return to the ground. Either that or a rear handled 200. I really need some saw upgrades, but will give it time to think.
I agree I'm looking for a saw like that where the groundie can just grab quick and squeeze the trigger for around the chipper or at the port o wrap etc.
Husky appears to have a really nice XP battery saw in the works but not available anytime soon.......seems their holding it back so they can get more T540XPs sold on the market first.

Well said Magnus. Yes we do teather our saws to our saddles with a lanyard. Maybe we could build the battery pack cable into the lanyard..............
The C20 is hanging in the cable there was a hole for attaching it to rope as well, but from what I can tell it is not needed.
On the subject of the 200 cordless saw I was at my Stihl dealer today and the saw is available in Canada plus we looked at the IPL and there is a 3/8 Picco sprocket available for it and the 160/180.
If you put a better chain on it it will consume more power and the minutes runtime you have will be reduced.. It was not a power house

I agree I'm looking for a saw like that where the groundie can just grab quick and squeeze the trigger for around the chipper or at the port o wrap etc.
Husky appears to have a really nice XP battery saw in the works but not available anytime soon.......seems their holding it back so they can get more T540XPs sold on the market first.
I had that here it is 4.2AH instead of 3AH. It did not help much in runtime..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I ran this the other week.
I think it was 12 minutes run time continually in wood if I remember correct.
Pretty bulky...

I don't see the use for these. If you have a back pack battery then I see a clear advantage, but not really with battery in it.

bulky? I didn't find it bulky at all and lighter than I expected.

I didn't get one, had a few other things come up that were more important but I wanted it for a chipper saw mainly like Bud. He gets a good run out of his battery.

As for the Pellenic and cable, I said in that thread the guys on Arbtalk didn't like them much. There's a few threads about them over there, this guy is from NZ and he tried the C15 a while back. http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/climbers-talk/45206-selion-electric-chainsaw-test.html It's only a short thread.

I've only ever worked on a few Pin Oaks, the less stuff you have with you the better. Nice trees but horrible to work in.

Yes and no. Yes in that it holds the saw to the battery pack and there's also a little attachment point for a krab on the saw. No in that if the saw gets stuck in the wood there's no quick break point as with a normal chainsaw strop. It's a plug in screw in type set up so chances are you'd have the saw and cable either trying to pull you out of the tree or the cable would break the plug in point. Possibly expensive.

If you talk about other than Pellenc I can't disagree as I have not tested or seen them with back pack battery.
But is you do talk about Pellenc I strongly disagree. But I guess you have tried it and talk of experience as I do so we just simply disagree.

My saw is on a 6" lanyard. That's it, nothing more, nothing less. Have you climbed with this unit? Trimming/pruning work up in a tree? I could be wrong about this tool Magnus, but don't tell me you are right when you don't have the first clue about gear up in a tree.

Well if hard wiring our saws to a separate unit is so sensible why not just keep it easy and run fuel line to a tank on our back? :P

Back