Pros Cons - When and When Not To

ive got this knot I tie 1 handed, its like a bowline, but not, it is super easy to untie, it always holds, maybe ill have to post a video and someone will know what it is, nice cause the groundies only pull the tail and it unties, ( first pulls out of a loop though)

I lower with a running bowline and nothing but. I know better then to lower with clove hitches. I think Asplundh may have even outlawed them on jobs.

Am not a big fan of having to use a screwdriver to undo a butterfly that was loaded heavy.
Bowline family have been good to me. Clove is (and will remain) a stranger.

Rigging with a clove-hitch is easy - both for the climber & groundsman. It is not for every circumstance, but most small, medium limbs I usually rig with it. I like the fact when It is tied the rope keeps going around in the same direction - alot easier in awkward spots

Not sure to be honest. Resort to half-hitch & timber hitch, which is probably inferior strength wise, but was how I was taught.

thattreeguy, I definitely want to see your knot that ‘can be tied one handed, always holds, is easy to untie, just pull a tail’. Please make a short imperfect video and share it.

A con for the clove hitch may be that it is more imperative that it be set and dressed properly than some other knots. I was watching a video where someone put a clove hitch on and left a 3/8 to 1/2 gap between the wraps of rope and were ready to lower on it. And then I hear so many strong things said against it here.

I have been using the clove hitch for most limb lowering for 30 years, weights up to 100 lbs. or so, with only two limbs ever offering to roll out. And I immediately realized that was my fault, sloppy tie on one heavy piece too short of a tail on another. I did not even know that one “must” use “two” half hitches to back up a clove hitch until a year ago on the forum.

Usually when I'm tying a clove it's to make sure I don't forget how to tie it. The next piece is back to a running bowline.

I like these better......
36027.jpg

Wow, very glad to see some bowline afficianados here.
A clove hitch is good for tying a line off to a scaffold. Or to a truck's side boards. . But then sois a running bowline. Heck, if you make the eye big enuf a bowline will make a split tail prussic.

As far as the alpine butterfly goes, I've ditched it in favor of a knot I learned called the circus bowline. Easier to tie thN the butterfly but doesn't bind. Unties like a bowline.

I'm a running bowline for rigging guy. Half hitch or marl below if there isn't a crotch or stub between the tie off point and the cut.

Rarely use the clove for rigging. Sometimes to rig down multiple limbs. But that's rare. Mostly sending stuff up.

slippery clove hitch on the throwbag ring historically, but just tied an overhand on a bight into a loop, and have been girth hitching it. There is a risk of the loop snagging. So far, so good. I keep at least two throwlines on the truck, as much as possible.

slippery clove hitch on the throwbag ring historically, but just tied an overhand on a bight into a loop, and have been girth hitching it. There is a risk of the loop snagging. So far, so good. I keep at least two throwlines on the truck, as much as possible.

I did the same thing recently but mine got snagged on small dead limb if I remember correctly? I like the Clove hitch for multiple limbs or when a limb is in your face. If the limb is below me,out a ways, or tying big wood I use the Running Bowline.

How often do you guys put a half hitch or similar below or above a running bowline when rigging? My climber seems to put them on everything and it is much slower than just doing a running bowline. I usually only back it up with a half hitch if I'm negative blocking or if it's really slippery wood.

jp:D

Back