Pros Cons - When and When Not To

bonner1040

Nick from Ohio
I am putting something together and need some input. Most of this I could write up but I would rather get others views.

I am looking for Pros and cons and when to use something vs when not to.

Running Bowline

Clove Hitch

Cow Hitch

Timber Hitch

Alpine Butterfly

Nothing would quoted directly but I might re-voice whats said here. Thanks in advance!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Running Bowline

pros, easy to untie, easy to tie - secure -

cons- derates rope strength - can slide

when to use
tying rigging lines to logs, anytime somthing needs to be choked

when not to -
on extremely skinny brush, wet slippery brush or very near to the end of a piece.

If your going to make any comment about strength loss, you should probably compare %, otherwise as nick says you will have to write that for all of them.

running bowline is great for rigging, i prefer to set a bite then the bow line or running bowline to keep slick wood from coming out of it, great knot to set from the ground or with a pole pruner, or throw line

clove hitch only on small stuff, i dont trust them, they can roll out, say what you want, ive seen it happen, and bought a roof to prove it..small stuff in bundles say taking 3 limbs on one rope, 2 cloves and final one as a running bow line

cow hitch is great for setting a block with a long single eyed sling, unties easy

timber hitch is great for setting a port a wrap at the base with a long single eyed sling, looks weak, so i always 1/2 hitch the end in case

never used alpine butterfly, is that an ozzy osbourne song?

I never use a clove hitch for roping; mostly for sending up a drink or a polesaw/whatnot. My #1 knot is a bowline.

How is a knot tied remotely???

You know- when you gotta tip-tie something, you get out as far as you can on the limb, then toss the monkeys fits even further out, use a pole to bring the monkeys fist, tie your RB knot and cinch it up. You just tied a knot from 12' away. Bam. Easy.

love
nick

Just a note for the Running Bowline would be to make sure that once loaded that the knot chokes the intended object. Of course we all know this but for a newbie. I use clove hitches as stated above as well. It's very important that are dressed and set tight with two half hitches except when tying multiple limbs. Alpine Butterfly is one I learned this year. It is easy to tie anywhere on the rope, strong, secure, easy to untie even after loading. Can be used for pulling, choking a branch or spar, can be set remotely like a running bowline. Haven't used cow hitch. Timber hitch I have used on my Porty with success.

Timber hitch con: Reliant on friction from the log. If tying it to a smooth tree you need more wraps/twists. If the tree has an indent in the trunk, there is NO friction at that spot and you would need more wraps.
Pros: barely uses up any rope compared to cow hitch. Super easy for newbs to learn compared to the cow hitch.

Running Bowline can be tied in the bite of the line which leaves you with two ends to work an object.

Clove hitch always comes back untied, regardless of a ground persons opinions on work load.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Clove hitch always comes back untied, regardless of a ground persons opinions on work load.

I hate when people rig with a clove. I usually clove the rope to stick and finish it with no less than 10 half hitches before I send it back up. Needless to say I have had some sticks thrown at me!

If you don't use a running bowline when roping, then you need to let someone who does take your place. :drink:

Nuff said MB. whats up everyone , I've been busy last couple of days. Got the job in La, My duty station will be in houma, la...

Timber hitch with an extra round turn (540 rather than 180 degree wrap ) is secure with either clockwise or counterclockwise tenwsion applied.

Back