Beginner Tree Climbing Tips

An SRT device is the safest way to the ground. Your rope doesn't have to move. A HitchHiker will allow you to move down a rope even if there is a bunch of weight on it, like the limb or log you just cut.

Carrying your rope (only need to be long enough to get to the ground) is a good bet, but heavier.

Saddles are meant to be sat in. Spurs and a "belt" are the old school way, without the ability to sit.

Have you seen Coffee Break with Hap Johnson (IIRC)? That guy has been up a tree or two, belt only.

Do you keep it simple in the metal shop and just use a hacksaw? Climbing with spurs and lanyard is great when you only need everything to go right, and are not interested in any support from the leg-loops, only the belt, without a speedy exit to the ground, nor any need to pull anything up.

My "boring, lazy tree work" includes sitting around as much as possible and doing everything the easiest way that I can. I stand in spurs when working down a spar, IF I don't have another tree adjacent to me to anchor my climbing line.

Looks like a really good way to have the strap slip off the back of your heel. Just watch its position on the opening sequence of climbing at 2 minutes in.

I like this one better. I was doing the wrap correctly but the back and forth motion and re-tightening of the lower strap before doing the upper strap will hopefully get me one hole tighter.

I used to do a shank wrap, but it started irritating my ankle bone. Last time I did it my socks were bloody from a rubbed spot. Last couple times I just buckled it without any extra wraps and it seemed more comfortable, but I need more time with it.

Another vote for no shank wrap. I tried it, but it wasn't as comfortable.

As to the velcro, I had it on my CF Geckos. It is infinitely adjustable which is good, but I found it a hassle in the way it captured lots of moss, saw chip and dust, bark crumbs, etc. Always having to be careful to keep it clean, and pick stuff out of it, for it to grab reliably when fitted. Only thing I didn't miss when I had to turn those spurs back in to the USFS upon retirement.

Plain old buckles work fine for me on my elderly Bashlin Alcoas fitted with caddy pads.

Last edited:
I must be farther to the right on the OCD scale, Sean :D.

But actually, it was my experience as I described it. Lack of gripping from fouled hook and loop structures. I can't imagine why we have such differing results.

Maybe I was not careful enough at keeping them clean initially.

Last edited:
The back and forth movement in the last vid (before closing the shin strap) helps to take out the play in the lower strap by setting the shank in the right place. I easily win one hole with an already tightened strap. It isn't overly tight, just right, but doesn't come loose during the climbing as it does usually without this movement.

Back