Beginner Tree Climbing Tips

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
With regard to nerves I think of them more as opportunity than something to be gotten rid of. If I’m feeling on edge a little too much I look around for what I would have to do differently to feel comfortable, then bring that into play.

Thanks for the visual merle. I used that on the smaller pines i did in my yard few weeks ago. It was real stable, also a pain to move, but if i had a wire core flip landyard i think it would have went a lil more smooth.

Ya know, I have a big shot and for some reason never use it. I should bring it out of the archives. I just make a cradle and give that bag a throw.

I’m going to copy Sean’s Big Shot set up for over 100 ft. shots. Have a nice open face reel, loaded it with Dyneema kite line (1 mm ?) but as it had a waxy coating my RopeKnight only flew to 40 ft. or so.

Will attempt to clean all that coating off and backfill the spool with 80# Halibut line (big reel and 300 ft. of line sits too deep in the spool.)

Do you use a fall arrest system for stripping limbs, either Ddrt above limbs above you, a double wrap lanyard, or SRT cinched up top or redirected to the base? The assurance that if you spur-out, you will not take the Bark Highway Express is very reassuring.

If you aren't ever nervous in your career, either you're not trying very hard, or you're a natural hardman, or maybe crazy.

"Bark Highway Express"...... ha, like this Sean!

Didn't see any eye protection on that work climb! Unless they were super clear.

Double ditto Big Shot...even the days I take several shots to get my TIP (little deflector branches usually the problem) I think of how impossible it would have been for me to throw a bag up there.
I really do marvel at and admire those people who can throw a bag with height and accuracy...'nuff respect!

"Bark Highway Express"...... ha, like this Sean!

Everyone knows of course if you get onto the on ramp of this highway and you're just flipping up with nothing else that squeezing both sides of your flip line together will most certainly stop your fall. The degree of bark rash will vary with reaction time. Lol.

Nope didn't know. I have always only counted on angled in climbers catching again.

So if I forced my palms in against my lanyard from the sides? I'll have to try that and practice it in as a second 'automatic' response.

Ayuh,
that's one of the MANY things I learned from the working climber DVD's.
That has saved me from riding the "Bark Highway Express" many times..... :thumbup:;)

You can practice this slide stop at ground level, I'd imagine. I usually roll with a cinched or overhead TIP. I like to leave a temporary stub for my lanyard to hold on when I am futzing around trying to get a new high TIP, where my hands will not only be away from my lanyard, but full of other gear.

Ayuh,
that's one of the MANY things I learned from the working climber DVD's.
That has saved me from riding the "Bark Highway Express" many times..... :thumbup:;)

I am glad I posted this because should have mentioned these options. I have not seen the videos. I was told on AS about this technique but I personally didn't trust it at the time.

You can practice this slide stop at ground level, I'd imagine. I usually roll with a cinched or overhead TIP. I like to leave a temporary stub for my lanyard to hold on when I am futzing around trying to get a new high TIP, where my hands will not only be away from my lanyard, but full of other gear.

The challenge with Loblolly Pines is more than half the time there are no branches until 50' to 60' and sometimes more. Big Shot fo sho! My intentions were to teach him to trust his lanyard and spikes low and slow. I didn't realize we were gonna take it down. Thanks for everyone's input. I learned allot by showing the little I knew and reading all the feedback.
Mark

how do you attach them MB? I want to use golf balls too, these throw bags are not going to hold up. . .

I know they will ricochet like crazy, but I think they would be good for practice.

I bet it ricochets like a beeyotch. I don't think it'd have enough weight to pull anything heavier than fishing line, though.

Some golf balls have/had high pressure gas centers - warning.

Golf balls make great file handles, BTW.

Dip your throw weights in Plasti Dip

They become nearly indestructible.
I've had 2 for over 7 years that still take a beating every time I go out.

Back