Beginner Tree Climbing Tips

I've found that dipping just up to the stitching below the ring works best because it allows the stitching to still bend,
and if you just dip the lower half of the weight it tends to peel off.

Learning how to slip and fall is as important as the climb.
Gravity is your friend, work with it not against it.
when you have a layoff from climbing before you start again
practice a few times the visual double check of safeties and practice
on the ground removing safe-ties and retie safeties before making your back cut.
Say it aloud so the brain can hear what it is thinking. This act confirms and brings more meaning
to staying alive.
If your knees are knocking take your time and breathe normally and posture up to gain composure.
Repetitive motions are painful in dthe longterm learn to use both sides of the body and get into a position that
always utilitzes the largest muscles.

Gravity is your friend, work with it not against it.
when you have a layoff from climbing before you start again
practice a few times the visual double check of safeties and practice
on the ground removing safe-ties and retie safeties before making your back cut.
Say it aloud so the brain can hear what it is thinking. This act confirms and brings more meaning
to staying alive.
If your knees are knocking take your time and breathe normally and posture up to gain composure.
Repetitive motions are painful in dthe longterm learn to use both sides of the body and get into a position that

Good post! I do talk out what I am doing especially when it's new technique, bigger saw, haven't climbed in awhile, or have other things on my mind. Also while on spikes I favor my right leg which puts a lot of stress on one side my body especially during long climbs. I have been working to correct this by keeping equal weight on both sides.

to staying alive.

^^^Really good stuff!

Slipping a little is inevitable, knowing you are well positioned and tied in to a good spot, you hardly even notice a small slip, or when a smallish branch breaks under your foot.

I jabber aloud to myself all the time, it's so true, recalling in your brain what you said to your ears really helps you focus and remember...does that read as weird as it sounds?

A deep breath when necessary calms the nerves

Learn to use your handsaw with both hands, and to be able to use the chainsaw left handed when necessary...also the polesaw, and when raking us leaves, switch it up as often as possible.

Well, upon reading all the great tips put together by the members here, I have decided that I am not a beginner. I am somewhat LESS skilled than a beginner! But, I would like to work hard to become a beginner.
Where would one start to learn how to climb trees?

Read the tree climbers companion a few times so it sets it. Two DVD series that come to mind are 1.working climber series 1. 2. Basic training for tree climbers 5 disc set. A lot of it might seem like repeated info but it helps to watch it done if u don't have anyone to climb with and there's always something new to learn or pick up from them

FFZ- Treestuff.com and Sherrilltree.com have great Learning Centers (or something similar).

Where are you in your less than a beginnerhood? What gear do you have? Anybody to learn with? A buddy, and belayer alike, and add a margin of safety, and fun.

Cool.

Treestuff is a good company to buy from. Nobody is local to you. Wesspur, too. An employee of each is on the forum.

You can start with a rope and a basic saddle, but would be better off to buy a used advanced saddle from someone here or on TreeBuzz that will be reputable. You can sometimes score rope cheaply in that way as well. Some people are more finicky, and will buy, try, and prefer something else, and sell. Other times, people will sell new stuff at a deal. You'll need/ want a lanyard, too.

There is more basic (cheaper), and more slick, advanced (expensive-er) stuff, too. Members will be able to steer you toward good purchases.

Is your tree an evergreen or deciduous (leaf)?

Back