Beginner Tree Climbing Tips

Review :23 - :25 frame by frame.

I can't see any face cut. There appears to be in the neighborhood of 4 inches of trunk breaking away and peeling bark.

The amount of force to break the trunk, once released, had an equal and opposite force once the trunk broke.

He got slingshot. If you can't pull a top that size by hand be very cautious about hooking up equipment to it.

Another species of tree could have split a long ways down below him with that much force.

Well, I guess I should start asking questions here.
Looks like I will be getting a saddle soon and I will buy some books and dvds. I have been looking at spurs, mostly Buckingham steel climbers, are these good ones? I don't have a lot to spend so I guess carbon fiber is out for now. What value priced spurs do you guys and gals like? I am 330 pounds, is that a factor to consider when buying spurs?
What size and length of flip line is the most useful? Should I get a steel core? I want to start out as simple as possible, but appreciate technology.
I am a uber noob but think I will like this.
I appreciate any help you treehousers can provide me with, just remember I don't know ANYTHING, but I shall get some books.

I'd invest in some nice pads, comfort will help your confidence. Never spent much time on buckinghams but I have in climb rights, kleins and geckos. Which ones are u looking at?

I'd invest in some nice pads, comfort will help your confidence. Never spent much time on buckinghams but I have in climb rights, kleins and geckos. Which ones are u looking at?

I had some Buckinghams.....but they got gone.

I guess I'll fine a good used pair, and invest in good pads.

I am on the aluminium Bashlins.. These have the stiff angled pads... Work peachy and not too heavy.
spu501w-150.gif

http://www.wesspur.com/spurs/bashlin-aluminum-spurs.html
But I also weigh 160# and have chicken legs :lol:

Those look nice. I have read that the aluminum ones have a 240 weight limit. I need something useful but affordable as i will not be getting paid for this adventure.:)

Should i swing by EBAY, or is it better to buy new?

There is no local tree shop in the area, or even people i know that climb trees. I do have some lineman friends though.

I got mine in really good shape used from a line man. Shitty pads though.. Had to replace those.
He had switched to the titanium gaffs. So he sold me those.
You might be right about the weight limit.
Gotta watch used though... Make sure that the bolt holes aren't wallowed out etc.

My lineman friend is about my size, just a little taller. I will see if he has any used spurs or what might work for a big guy. I am officially back on the Weight Watchers (hopefully for good this time) and will be getting down to a more reasonable climbing weight. Gotta pass the pack test again this spring too!
Thanks for the info guys! I really appreciate it.

Way to go buddy (weight watchers) I'm cheering for you ... remember slow and steady wins the race. 1.5 - 2 lbs. per week until goal and then maintain for life. You can do it ... i did it!!!

At 300 pounds, spurs are gonna start to hurt pretty quickly. Make sure you use added padding in the form of a soccer foam shinguard under your pants... wear it a 'lil sideways, towards the inside of your leg. I've been putting mine on now for over 30 years and AFAIK I'm the only climber who does that.

Yeah, we will be climbing fools when we are done!:)

I am starting to get it. Thanks for the recommendations Nick and Butch. I really like cruising by Treestuff and really appreciate the links.

I will be getting down to a more reasonable weight fellers, fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life!:)

Back