Beginner Tree Climbing Tips

Beginner tip: Don't leave your gear attached to your climbing rope for several days. I simply unhooked my biner, and left my complete RADS system on the rope, knowing I was going to climb the next day. Life got busy, and a few days later had time to climb. Went up and down, then when I opened my grigri, out crawls a huge spider. It just hung out in there for the entire climb! Glad it didn't come out when I was at height - let's just say i hate spiders. About had to change pants when it crawled out.

Anyone still on this thread willing to lend me a hand? I have inherited an old homelite XL. I can't get it to idle at all. When I adjust it I'm getting no change on my low side. As long as I run the trigger it goes fine but obviously something's up. I cleaned out all the old gas mix and oil added some new, replaced the gas filter. I understand how to adjust them just not exactly sure where else to trouble shoot

Anyone still on this thread willing to lend me a hand? I have inherited an old homelite XL. I can't get it to idle at all. When I adjust it I'm getting no change on my low side. As long as I run the trigger it goes fine but obviously something's up. I cleaned out all the old gas mix and oil added some new, replaced the gas filter. I understand how to adjust them just not exactly sure where else to trouble shoot

How's the fuel lines look?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
If you need more help on the saw, (other than the boating suggestion :D) maybe post over in the "Chainsaw" section / forum. A lot more saw aficionados probably never saw your question posted here.

Good luck on it though.

Thanks I wasn't too sure what I was doing so I did a laid out Tare down... Cleaned the whole thing found some pinholes in oiler line and gas line and my magneto was missing a screw not sitting correctly and my spark wire was chewed up .. Replaced it all. cleaned it up. Had to readjust it. Now it's up and screaming. Thanks for the tips everyone I really appreciate it

My advice to newbie's starting out climbing is TRUST YOUR GEAR. And start out low and slow.

Lengthy hangs from side D's on lanyard, tight up against tie in point, result in saddle sliding up to chest, and a pucker factor of around 6. Which increases the longer you hang and realize whats going on.

TRUST me.....if your new to climbing, and don't have proper training, slow and low is the way to go!!!!

Lengthy hangs from side D's on lanyard, tight up against tie in point, result in saddle sliding up to chest, and a pucker factor of around 6. Which increases the longer you hang and realize whats going on.

TRUST me.....if your new to climbing, and don't have proper training, slow and low is the way to go!!!!

Move to the ends of your bridge or center ring for this.

P.S. If injured and suspended by the bridge for a long time, suspension trauma can result. A lanyard from D to D under the feet, makes a perch and relieves leg strap pressure that can lead to problems. Suppose you guy has a pinned arm, or need a Cervical collar before being rescued, this can help alleviate a secondary problem.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
If cloths are all pitchy turn them inside out before washing. Saves the wife some aggravation and you 30 min of cleaning out the dryer with every solvent known to man.

That's what I would've done, had I had rings on the ends of my bridge instead of rigging plates.
Holes would not accommodate snap ends of lanyard, so the snap end of lanyard went to D, and biner end went to plate, which I know NOW, isn't ever a good idea.
Thanks for the tip, Sean.

Stevo, you can clip a (steel ) biner to the rigging plate, and the snap to biner, or get a small sewn dyneema loop runner girth hitched to the plate.

It is difficult to throw a 300g bag high and precisely onto a crotch, when finally got the selected crotch the small branches make impossible to set the saver. I am buying the throw bag device , may have been the line I use, but it was so difficult . Not having someone with me make climbing difficult , however ,I think adding weight to both part of the line will improve the climbing technique required to climbing solo.

Back