Beginner Tree Climbing Tips

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I dont think I have ever been able to climb hand over hand up a rope. Is that going to be a deal breaker?

I think the only deal breaker is if you say, “I don’t like this” or “This is not for me.”

Some forms of climbing seem a lot like climbing a ladder or a set of stairs to me, also the desire to climb could have you do things to climb more easily that you have not previously been inspired to do. Motivation may not be everything but, it’s way out in front of whatever is in second place.

Yup. There are lots of things that can help and with technique climbing can be a lot easier. But being in good condition is fairly mandatory for good results climbing. . Your young so you will be able to get in super shape. . Climbing is about the hardest work anyone can do. And it is a job where being a big guy isn't a great benefit.
Any time you change your balance point from your feet and shoulders to your waist and hips it really works your abs and obliques and picking your feet up vertically does also. . Holding yourself into the tree and all the hand, arm work does too. .
No, you don't need to be able to climb with just your hands. But being able to does nothing but help.

The best part of it is, if you really enjoy it, it doesn't seem like work at all. :)
You'll end up climbing a lot and getting a great "workout", it's a win win! :thumbup:;)

So. Here's something that works good and has other benefits. .
You are going to need to be proficient tying several knots and hitches. . The Number 1 knot to become perfect at for climbing and working in trees and anything in life IMO is the Bowline. There are threads on here about knots and hitches.
Get a hundred feet of 3/8 Tenex. Its only 38¢ a foot and is a really useful line for all kinds of stuff.

Got me some stuff to start learning with today from treestuff, good people there! Maybe Sunday I can get a rope in a tree and get my saddle setup right and manage to get a few feet off the ground to get the ''hang'' of it.

So. Here's something that works good and has other benefits. .
You are going to need to be proficient tying several knots and hitches. . The Number 1 knot to become perfect at for climbing and working in trees and anything in life IMO is the Bowline. There are threads on here about knots and hitches.
Get a hundred feet of 3/8 Tenex. Its only 38¢ a foot and is a really useful line for all kinds of stuff.

Good advice. I am able to tie a bowline around myself in the dark with my gloves on so that my brothers can hoist me out of a burning basement.

But i do need more practice. I am just one chapter into Mr. Beranak's book.:lol:

Got me some stuff to start learning with today from treestuff, good people there! Maybe Sunday I can get a rope in a tree and get my saddle setup right and manage to get a few feet off the ground to get the ''hang'' of it.

Good advice. I am able to tie a bowline around myself in the dark with my gloves on so that my brothers can hoist me out of a burning basement.

But i do need more practice. I am just one chapter into Mr. Beranak's book.:lol:

Takes time, low and slow. You'll both get it if you just "hang in there"..... :P :thumbup:;)

Well I got to work on my climbing this afternoon. Made it about 8'-10' off the ground a few times. Practiced my Blakes hitch and Bowline. Got my saddle adjusted fairly good, it still don't feel like what I'd call ''good'', but I'm working on it...and it's still new and stiff so maybe it'll break in and be ok. Also figured out how out of shape I was since high school....I guess pulling levers everyday for 10 years will do that to ya.

Ready to try a little more next time!

I got a set of Buckinghams on feebay. When they get here I'll post some pics and have you guys tell me what I need to get to set them up properly.

Not much to set up - just adjust them as high as you can, where the top of the spur isn't hitting bone. Make sure on the bottom straps the long strap goes behind your ankle - not over the top of your boot. On the top strap I like the buckle to be on the inside of my leg.

When I first started climbing, I was on a course, I got back to the B&B that first night and about cried...I was SO sore and bruised, but I was already well into my 30's by then, and relativley fit from landscaping and sports. Its a different set of muscles. Been at it 10 yrs now and still love it.
Core and obliques, you HAVE to be able to support your upper body WITH the weight of a saw while pivoting from your waist.
I'm the small girl here, if I can do it you can! And trust me, come summer time on the beach...no worries ;)

Ha, I manage, I'm the slow monkey, but I work for myself so no peer pressure!

I've got one I just learned about the other day.
Maybe it's common sense/knowledge to some but it took me three tries to figure out what was going on.
OK, so here is what happened. I wanted to set a line about 55'-60' up in a really nice TIP above where I wanted
to work but, it was a "tight" target with a lot of small, surrounding limbs that would grab my throwline if I didn't
just about bullseye my target. The obvious choice was to use my Bigshot, so that's what I did. So now I come to
the point. My first shot was lined up perfect but came up a bit under the target limb. I set my next shot about 6"
further down the handle, that's gotta do it, nope. That shot came up even shorter. I had an idea what was going
on but tried one more time with almost a "full power" shot and it barely went 30'!!! ](*,)

The temperature was about 15 degrees, it's the cold right? I didn't know about that, I do now.
I ended up hand throwing, took 5 tries(my hands don't work well in the cold, I've had frostbite on both of 'em)to hit the limb.
So, I guess everyone that uses their Bigshot in the cold keeps it warm somehow?

Lesson learned, hope that helps someone who doesn't already know. :D

Sometimes its quicker to just hit a good crotch, maybe not your target crotch, and monkey fist your way to the next crotch and so on until you hit your desired TIP. Its more work obviously. But time is money. Sometimes theres no other way then to just saddle up and get going. Anymore, I throw a few shots by hand, as that's my strong suit. If I cant hit my desired crotch, I take what I can get and get busy from there. I like a throwbag myself. Really helps me boogey up the tree when Ive got a line set and have to squirrel past a fat goofy crotch. I like using my throw bag to set a lowering line too. Set my TIP where I desire, and set my lowering line where I desire if it happens to be far across the tree. Saves me from running around in the tree setting lowering lines.

Sometimes its quicker to just hit a good crotch, maybe not your target crotch, and monkey fist your way to the next crotch and so on until you hit your desired TIP. Its more work obviously. But time is money. Sometimes theres no other way then to just saddle up and get going. Anymore, I throw a few shots by hand, as that's my strong suit. If I cant hit my desired crotch, I take what I can get and get busy from there. I like a throwbag myself. Really helps me boogey up the tree when Ive got a line set and have to squirrel past a fat goofy crotch. I like using my throw bag to set a lowering line too. Set my TIP where I desire, and set my lowering line where I desire if it happens to be far across the tree. Saves me from running around in the tree setting lowering lines.

Good point, and well put. :thumbup:
I have had to do that, and it did save me time.
Thanks for the reminder. ;)

Back