Chips sticking in chip box

This afternoon Karina and I cleaned the front end of the inside of the chip box. It was not pretty. Luckily I could do most of it with the pressure washer attachment on my hose (not a true pressure washer- just something that concentrates the stream). The rest was done on our hands and knees using steel wool and soapy water.

Got 2 Neverwet kits and I'll spray the inside tomorrow. We shall see how it goes.

love
nick

I just use a polesaw pole to poke at the chips when the box is up and they fall right out, cost ?, a money making tool that has paid for itself many time over.
Tho thanks for the update Nick.

We have an old pole saw head without the blade on it that we use. It works like a charm and we don't have to worry about bending a saw blade. We also use the stick to pull out hangers or move phone and cable lines out of the way. Handy tool to have around.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

The spray went on today! We might dump chips at the end of the week. Gotta see what's on the schedule. We cleaned it out pretty good first. I did some test treatments on areas that weren't cleaned all that well.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1383529417.693705.jpg

$20 worth of paint. Spent and hour cleaning it, and it took about an hour to paint.

I'll report back!

love
nick

love
nick

Nick,

Next time go get yourself some WAB aluminum cleaner. Its an acid wash for truck bodies that will make that body sqeeky clean. Better adhesion if you decide to use that never wet again. I washed my body before i put it on the new truck and they thought i bought a brand new body. Spray on and wash off.

Just a quick follow up- that never wet stuff was extremely sucky against the chips. I am certain it made no impact whatsoever on the slipperiness of the chips on hue he aluminum.

Time wasted, lesson learned.

love
nick

The spray went on today! We might dump chips at the end of the week. Gotta see what's on the schedule. We cleaned it out pretty good first. I did some test treatments on areas that weren't cleaned all that well.

View attachment 50826

$20 worth of paint. Spent and hour cleaning it, and it took about an hour to paint.

I'll report back!

love
nick

love
nick

Nick, if im seeing this right those alumi angle iron should be sideways not up and down in your chip box, that would be the primary problem for holding chips back when u dump

heres mine...angle iron sideways

We kind of have the same problem . Unpainted metal along with leeching and decomposition from the chips themselves over time coats the metal that allows chips to adhere to the corners and then to the sides Compaction is another factor to this problem especially if a truck isn't dumped on a daily basis. Just driving down the road will settle a load of wood chips.

Is it really so annoying? Reverse up and slam the brakes on if need be. Leave the bits in the corners it's only a cubic foot or so. I've got a hundred things to do before I sort something like that out.
(Like get up off this sofa! You can't beat an early finish and a bit of a lie down)

Agreed Sean. Le becasse, agreed as well, but sitting chips turns into rust or in Nicks case,corrosion. I try to keep a professional clean presence in my business because I think it reflects responsibility and professionalism. In shiny LA, I think presentation and or curb appeal is a major thing not to overlook.

True, bud. I'm just saying that I expect my box to last longer than the truck by a longshot, and I don't want to suck down the spores from old chips. I do try to clean it/ have the corners cleaned, but have bigger fish to fry.

Ditto. I've had "chip flu" a few times and it is no fun. I keep my truck clean if I can.

Back