576 vs new 372

cory

Tree House enthusiast
These saws came up in Nick's 395 thread but I didn't want to derail there, so here I will ask what do ya'll think of the 576 vs new type 372?? I bought 3 new 372s to replace 3 stolen ones which were your older basic amazing 372's, but I'm really not impressed with the new ones, they start poorly and don't cut quite as fast as the older 372s. I've never tried a 576, am wondering how they are. If they are good but won't outcut a new 372 I probably wouldn't be interested cuz I wouldn't want a lesser saw than a 372 even if it was a "real good saw." But maybe they outcut a 372?

I run the older style 372Xp , never tried the new 372X Torque. But I have run several 576XP AutoTunes and am impressed with it's torque, smooth handling and micro processor spot on tuning.
If you try a 576 you gotta go Auto Tune.

576's are an all together different animal. hard to compare. Entirely different feel, balance, sound, power, etc. Excellent cutting saws. If you are interested in one, go buy one. When I got tired of dragging a 660 around when I was logging, I got handed a new 576. It wasn't an autotune but was a hell of a smooth saw. Dangerously smooth because it would deceive you. Havent run the autotune version but if the standard 576 pleased me, Im confident the AT model would rock my socks off.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Will it cut as fast as a 372?

Will it cut as fast as a 372?
It's crazy but I never put the two together on the stop watch. But right out of the box the 576XP AutoTune ripped relentless torqueing through a 24-30 inch diameter frozen spruce block for the initial first 5 minutes cutting cookies to set up the computer. I honestly feel my 372 right out of the box could not do that as well as the 576 did.
After some hours on it the 576 woke up real nice. I believe a stock 576 has better torque in big wood versus a stock 372. You just gotta keep the 372 screaming where it's best power is at.

What is the displacement difference between the 2 . My 372 is the W and it has the 75 CC p+c. It pulls a 32" bar with semi skip chisel ground chisel bit chain. In Spruce. It is a bit stronger than the 371 I had similar to one other 372W I had. I can't find a bit of performance difference between it and the 460 Stihl. . I've never run a 576 so I can't speak to that.

372 W with 51.4mm bore = 74.66cc

576 shows = 73.5cc

460 = 76.5cc

Thank you. I do like the balance of the 372 better than the 460 Stihl tho. I was bummed that Stihl didn't spring mount and stretch out the handles on the 461 . If the would have Ide have bought one. But they didn't so I got into 390 Huskies.

So heard of a half dozen 576's lean cooking this winter from a air leak. Two different logging operations.

Anyone else heard of a carb boot problem in the cold?

It is nothing new.
They blamed user first, then fuel system, assembly, bearings, bolts, fuel system, gaskets and now intake boot?
AT was to fix it, new bearings, different bolts, "correct" or "better" oil/nix/fuel was another fix...

Still I am wrong when I say the X-Torq is crap.
Only thing good on those is ignition systems!

My 576s have been fine in the cold, so far, knock on wood

That's good to hear Cory. I was wondering how your saws were holding up. I bought mine in part due to your post about the 372's being dogs. Lemme know if you have any troubles with it eh?

8)

That's good to hear Cory. I was wondering how your saws were holding up. I bought mine in part due to your post about the 372's being dogs. Lemme know if you have any troubles with it eh?

Yes, so far so good, they don't disappoint. A buddy has the exact same problems with his new 372 as I had with mine- hard starting and no balls. Junk saw.

I ran an xtorq 372 this winter and quickly put it down and picked up my old style 372. Not for me.

I almost lost my mind trying to get work out of those saws.

I sold them to dealer for $325 each

I'm looking for a saw that will replace a smaller one that I used for years. The 550XP looked appealing to me, but I'd like a saw that uses the same 3/8" pitch x .058 gauge chain that I use on my 395XP. Using the same chain will allow me to purchase a roll of chain and make my own loops for both of my primary saws.

The smallest saws I've seen from Husqvarna that use the .375 x .058 chain are the 372XP and 576XP. Am I wrong about that? I'm wondering if the 550XP or 562XP can be upgraded to the larger gauge, .058 chain?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Joel

Long as this popped up, Ill check in to say my 576s are still screaming, and trouble free. Sweet saws.:drink:

Back