Husqvarna 3120XP vs. 395XP vs. Sithl 660-880

I run a 066 on my mill right now. It works hard but owes me nothing. When chainsaw milling it seems one has plenty of time to imagine how awesome a bigger saw would be.

Good to hear your still in love with milling Squish, it's great to be young and full of piss and vinegar. Reminds me of myself when I was in my early 30's and grabbed life and the GRANBERG by the horns.

I pretty much make my own lumber for around the farm. Currently I've got a collection of fir I'm going to make a tack room out of. All edged up and ready to go. I've got a 2x20 in the pile. Lol

An invaluable tool if you do treework and have any use for lumber.

An invaluable tool if you do treework and have any use for lumber.
This might give me motivation to get my 090 and 36" Granberg back to work.
The big mill that cuts my 10"x10" -16' timbers and sponsors for my chainsaw contest every Feb just shut down for good [big increase in sawmill insurance across western Canada, so they said the hell with running]
Lately I've been blocking up beautiful oversize hardwood and spruce, gotta get that .404 chain milling again.

Insurance rise must be due to the dust explosions eh? We just had a fatality at our local plant that I live near. You know the one, the original. Tragic 18 year old on a weekend clean-up crew.

I never thought of the 084 as too heavy, in and of itself...but with that 60 inch bar and chain it was an unmitigated b**ch. No balance to the combo at all. It was much better with the 41 inch b&c...almost manageble :)

I just picked up two new cannon 36" bars today for a steal of a deal, they'd been sitting around the local shop to long. 36" on a 660 has a decent balance.

And I run a 32" full comp on my 394,394, and my 660. My 066 has a 25" on it, and it won't hang with a 395, you old guys are funny. I've run a 42" on my 394 several times. That sucks. I don't want any part of bigger.

That's gotta be fun to file. Stick with what works for your area. The difference in our big softwoods is negligible between full comp or skip that it just doesn't make sense to run it on anything from 24" up. IMO

We don't really have any big soft woods. We remove tons of 40+" water oak. I do a lot oft stump cuts with a 372xp with a 24" or an 066 with a 25"(both the same 84 link Oregon lgx chain) but bigger I like the full comp 105 link in hard woods.

I still use my 288 for big sawing for the most part. Its not a rocket, but that saw and I have marched into battle together many times and I developed a like for that old goat awhile back. It was my first saw I bought when I went into business besides the 200T I already possessed. I run it with a 32" bar full comp in hard wood all the time. Its not a hot rod but I muscles on through just fine.

Tucker + Squishers, I like you guys more and more all the time. . The 394 Husky now 395 is one of the best relatively large wood bushelin saws of all time. It will pull a 50" bar with no problem, is easy on the hands ( doesn't vibrate much) and when juiced up can be just short of a monster
. ( a Bushel, is 1,000 board feet woods scale) . I used to get from 5.15$ to 11$ a bushel for merchant scale. I've owned and fell timber with 5 394 s they will flat out stump any 066-660 . . . They both drink a lot of fuel and in 36" timber an 064 or 288 , 390 Huskies might get you a couple bushel more wood on the ground in a 6 1/2 hour cutting day. 38-42 minutes on a tank of fuel compared to 25-28 minutes for the bigger saws. . The 3120 which I've had and fell timber with and the 084 which I've fell with are in a totally different class. If you NEED to pull more than a 4' bar their are great. I myself have never needed to and I've fell several trees over 10' across the stump. Their engines are the size of a small motor cycle and you find that out the first time a buck starts to close on the top of the bar and the saw shoves you out of the way as it flys backward out of a buck. A full wrap bar is IMNSHO a must for a falling saw.. back baring with a 7+ horse saw is an unwise activity.

My new perfect bushlin saw. 390 XPW w/ 36" Oregon Light Weightbar 3/8 63 ga. Semi skip Stihl chisel ground chisel bit. 8 tooth sprocket. Riders at. 35 k.
Oh that butt log is a 5,000$ log. Notice the lack of stump pull.

Back