Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Husqvarna 3120XP vs. 395XP vs. Sithl 660-880

There is a 880 for half the cost of new in Ohio on CL right now. Look it over to see if it passes inspection.

I had several 066 660 084 3120 stock and modded. Here is what I am getting at. Depends on how much you use the saw and for what type of cutting.
    I like the build of the 084 088 880 over the 3120 personally for a work saw. I also like the 3120's too, just some things I prefer on stihl.

There was a guy I knew running stock 660's rip cutting hardwoods with way to long of bar IMO. He said he had burned 2-3 of them going by dealers instructions on set up.
    I sold him a woods ported 084, set it up where it was 4 stroking out of cut and cleared up in cuts and run 32:1. Feed back I got was the saw was ripping with a 50" plus bar and ended his problems.

I think his 660 problems IMO dealer instructions and not knowing how to tune your own eq, running 50:1 , 40" plus bar ripping hardwoods, carb was probably set from dealer with stops to run right at max rpm.
    Learn Chainsaw Repair ChainsawRepair

... guy walks into the Husky dealer about four years ago, needs a bar and chain for a near new 3120. Garage sale score .. fifty bucks !!!!!! ... guess the people felt bad selling just the powerhead

Bamboo Plantation Owner Sponsor Tucker943's Avatar

Nick, if you have a hookup on the 2 Huskys you mentioned, go for it. Stihl are world class tools, but Husqvarna are too. If you can get one on the cheap, do it. A 395 is a big old brute. Meaner then a 660. Not an 066, but a current 660. Try that 562 and you'll throw your finger in the air at most other saws on the job site.

Ditto regarding a 660 as oppossed to the old 066 .The EPA and others I think forced the hands of the manufacturers .They aren't quite the icon they once were .

I hate running a 660 just a dog all around. I have never owned one but have run a friends a few times to know that I would never buy one.

You gotta put the dual port muffler on the 660. Otherwise you are leaving horsepower on the table
    To gain that which is worth having, it may be necessary to lose everything else.
    Bernadette Devlin

TreeHouser Sponsor mccauleytree's Avatar

Biggest saw we own is a 660. It was ported by Mastermind and has a muffler mod too. It rips plain and simple. I always wanted an 880 but never could justify it.

TreeHouser Sponsor woodworkingboy's Avatar

The Stihl 076 is a great saw if you can find one in good shape. Five stars for starting reliability after sitting for a long time, and for durability. 111ccs is enough. I also have an 880 and an 090, but the 076 just seems less hassle, except for no decomp on it. Some have the button.
    Bright days and dark days are both expressions of the great mystery. ~ Oglala Sioux

TreeHouse Troll Slayer & Administrator MasterBlaster's Avatar

No decomp sucks, but WTH. My 066 doesn't have one...

Treehouser Sponsor treesandsurf's Avatar

So you guys think a 395 is better than the new 660's? I've used both, I really like husqy for the mid and large sized saws. For the climbing saws, there is just no comparison.

We were using a 441 for a week on a project off-island. The saw had plenty of power, but it felt heavy as hell compared to my 372xp. I would take my 372 over that 441; though I really like the weight to power of the 460.

jp
    Suburbia is where the developer bulldozes out the trees,
    then names the streets after them.
    - Bill Vaughan

www.hawaiiarborist.com