Husqvarna 3120XP vs. 395XP vs. Sithl 660-880

Biggest saw we own is a 660. It was ported by Mastermind and has a muffler mod too. It rips plain and simple. I always wanted an 880 but never could justify it.

The Stihl 076 is a great saw if you can find one in good shape. Five stars for starting reliability after sitting for a long time, and for durability. 111ccs is enough. I also have an 880 and an 090, but the 076 just seems less hassle, except for no decomp on it. Some have the button.

So you guys think a 395 is better than the new 660's? I've used both, I really like husqy for the mid and large sized saws. For the climbing saws, there is just no comparison.

We were using a 441 for a week on a project off-island. The saw had plenty of power, but it felt heavy as hell compared to my 372xp. I would take my 372 over that 441; though I really like the weight to power of the 460.

jp:D

My 372 will abuse my 441, though Ive come to like my 441. I hated it for awhile but with a 20" bar, it is solid and well powered.

I got 2 almost brand new shiny like chrome [noses included] 36" Oregon bars and haven't used them for years. And I do take down some 36" over bdh hardwoods at least once a week.
And yes I do have a 60" on my since retired as a shelf queen :lol:090AV
anna 023-002.jpg

With hazard trees than are leaning and-or on hills, getting the face and backcut accomplished with a long bar can be safer and much faster/ easier. When I can use a shorter bar and chase or double-cut, I like the ease of a lighter saw.

Also, for me at least, a bigger saw/ bar really lends itself to a full wrap-handle. Fighting a bigger saw with less handle options just isn't so good, IMO. I think my friend back in IL had a 1/2 wrap on his 660. Do they sell them with full wraps much 'back east'? Upgraded dog (bigger and stronger) also help with a heavy saw.

As was said, there is some novelty in an 880 or 3120 which wears off quickly.

If you do get a really big saw and bar for felling something, a humboldt cut will allow you to skip making a pilot kerf in order to not throw your chain.

I had my 084 long before my 066 came along, since then it doesn't see much use. Its got to be a damn big stick before I'll drag it off the shelf.

Folks think the +100cc saws are cool as heck, they've never spent time behind one. The fun factor goes away real quick horsing a 60" bar around.

Ed

I had my 084 long before my 066 came along, since then it doesn't see much use. Its got to be a damn big stick before I'll drag it off the shelf.

Folks think the +100cc saws are cool as heck, they've never spent time behind one. The fun factor goes away real quick horsing a 60" bar around.

Ed

Wise words, I've been there and Ed tells truth...listen to him, kids.

Not much to add to all the above, but in my experience the only time you really really need a long enough bar to make the cut in one go is on a spar on spikes. In that situation an 100cc+ with a 48" + bar is about as much fun as some angry bees making a hive in your underwear drawer.

On the ground you can usually get in from both sides, so a 90cc saw is plenty.

In short, unless your milling with it, get a 660 or 395.

Highest point in the county is 480 feet above sea level, lowest 9 feet below sea level. About as flat as flat can be actually!

It's not all flat, Wales and Scotland have their share of lumps and bumps, but Cambridgeshire is exceptionally flat.

I'll definitely have a 880 or 090 one day. For milling and the odd huge one. So far 660 with a 36" has gotten it done

Back