Husqvarna 3120XP vs. 395XP vs. Sithl 660-880

The big saws suck on anything but the mill imo. 41" max for work on the 084 but prefer the 36" or the 066 late model 32lw.

Anyone running the new 881 yet?

The big saws, the 85cc and up, don't suck at all, if the felling or bucking is bigger than most cutters ever take on. Saying otherwise might tend to indicate that the talker has not often dealt with really big standing wood.

Just my take on it. Not meaning to get argumentative.

The ~120cc saws are in a class of their own and do feel like they underperform for the weight. Perhaps they shine with bars longer than 42"? I haven't been impressed with the oil pump on an 880. The chain on a 30" bar seems kind of dry with the pump turned up all the way.

As I understand it, on the larger Stihls, there is a standard oil pump and a high output oil pump. The latter was usually installed on saws sold here in my part of the world, where long bars are the norm.

These largest displacement saws do not generally run like race cars...more like long haul eighteen wheelers. By that, I mean not so much high revving top end speed, but more on the order of torque to die for.

So for sure, with a 60 inch, or even much more, bar and chain...torque wins over a high rpm saw with less grunt. Put the same powerhead on a 24 inch bar, and try to race a much smaller displacement saw, but that generates much higher rpm...the big boy may not impress.

Back