Husqvarna 3120XP vs. 395XP vs. Sithl 660-880

bonner1040

Nick from Ohio
Who can talk to me about the differences between these saws.

Husky 3120xp
118 cc
8.4 hp
23 lbs

Husky 395xp
94 cc
7.1 hp
17.5 lbs

Stihl 880
121 cc
8.6 hp
22.3 lbs

Stihl 660
91 cc
7 hp
16.5 lbs

It is worth stepping up to a 3120XP/880 from the 395XP/660 tier? Whats the real difference between the 660/385xp tier and the 880/3120?

I currently run a 460 as my biggest saw (75cc, 6 hp, 14.5 lbs) and it does everything I want it to. Looking at saving for a bigger saw a while down the road and want to get some opinions.

http://www.stihlusa.com/products/chain-saws/professional-saws/
http://www.husqvarna.com/us/products/professional-chainsaws/husqvarna-proffesional-chainsaws/

FWIW most people including myself who own over 100 cc saws very seldom use them .The 084 Stihl in my shed belongs to Tom the tree man . In the last 4 or 5 years the only action that saw has seen is my running it at GTGs' .Fact I'm very surprised with as much inactivity it gets that it runs so well .

Nick, your 460 probably is all you'll need with 24-28" b/c.
My 372-24" will take over what my main saw 562-20" won't do. My 395-32" has been collecting dust in storage lately along with my two 066s and 090AV. I always wanted to own a 3120 though, saw was first introduced in 1989 and I don't think Husqvarna will ever bother to replace it. They designed it the right way right from the start and never had to improve it.

I'd probably use my 395 more if I had a 28" b/c on it.

The 3120 is just too heavy/more saw than you need for tree work. The 395 rocks! Its a cutting beast without being too heavy, and it starts easily too. I have a 28" bar on mine and I think it is an awesome saw if you have alot of wood to buck. It runs circles around the 372 but the 372 gets most of the use cuz it is smaller/lighter. You will be happy with the 395 if you are looking for a big saw. When I see tree svcs with a 3120 on their truck, it makes me wonder, I mean the 395 will run a 42" bar no problemo but I only need that bar once a year.

I guess I didn't mention that I always wanted to own a 3120XP "modified" for timbersport competiton........just another expensive toy:)
A old logging buddy of mine bought a 3120 with a portable sawmill for his wood lot and he's getting lots of use out of it.

3120/880's are just too heavy for normal use, great for milling and that "once every four years tree" you might happen across! Most people that own them, seldom use them, and mainly own them for bragging rights! I'd love to have one or the other with a 6' bar to hang in the garage, but I'd be damned if I'd ever use it!
660/394/395 is a more usable saw, but still large and heavy for what most people need! Are you really getting into wood that the 460 can't handle regularly? If so, then maybe think about one, if not, it's a waste of money!
If you want the best of both worlds, get a 460 and send it off to a reputable porter and get it ported and tuned, it will still be a lot cheaper than either choice above, and do about anything you want!
My BB woods ported (which I'm told the standard cylinder produces more power than the BB kit) was just a tick faster than a stock 660 with 24" bar in equal wood. Mine will also pull a 32" bar with authority in Oak all day long! Even that beat gets heavy with that bar on it, I wouldn't want to run anything much bigger very long!

I think I use my 880 about 4 times a year, not the other way round.

Great tool for bucking large logs into firewood, which is why I bought the first one I had.
During the heydays of DED we bucked dozens of large elms into kindling every week.

A lot of foresters and arbos know we have it ( they are rare here, the first 084 I bought was the first one sold in the country) so they call us when they have need of a 60" bar.
That leads to some interesting falling jobs.

It is way too heavy for everyday use. Each and everyone of my apprentices over the years have been looking lustfully at it, but once they have run it, the novelty factor is gone and they have no great want to drag the boat anchor around.

Our 660s in comparison are running every day of falling season.

I go 201 to 660 I have 260 on the ground for limbing.
880 would be a perfect for me, removals, stump cuts, quartering logs etc.
I would guess with 460 being a nice saw to handle in the tree and on the ground it would be
not much less of a saw than the 660.
With that said an 880 is going to fly thru the wood and make the time spent at the exhaust in
those tight corner tree removals and the hole much less.
I vote 880 only because my local saw shop "Vincents" are great people.http://www.vincentlawnandgarden.com/
I know Huskies are a great product and ran them when I was a muni I would buy from your best dealer/service people and
think brand after. Because when the chips are down and your in the hole it is your dealer and service who get you up and running
Good thread Nick
Happy Fathers day to all!

Ok here's my take I have a 3120. The 3120 sits and sits but gets used maybe two dozen times a year mostly for stumping a big tree low or noodling large rounds. It is a heavy SOB but does not bat an eye for the hard heavy work.

My 066s come out to play pretty often.. An 880.. probably not so much. Like Stig said... Nice to have, but .......
As it is, I'll pull out the 046 before an 066. Felled and bucked a spar yesterday with my 066. It shines when you have a lot of wood in front of you and it needs to be sliced. 36" or better. Funny looking down and one kerf through the log buries your foot up the shin in nice chips in no time at all.... :)
Spurs in and strapped to the side of the tree with a large saw and bar is never much fun. Power can get you on the ground faster, but the weight will wear you down. Best to find a balance.

You get a big azzed saw like an 084 / 088 or 3120 or even oldies like my big Macs you really don't have to do a thing to them .They were made for big wood and go through 40 inch stuff and never break a sweat so to speak .

Say it's 20" stuff a good running 80 cc will cut about as fast .You gotta kinda size the saw for the job .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks everyone for the response....I want it soooo BAD. I know its impractical, but my thinking is, I so rarely NEED more than a 460 that when I do I want a 42" bar and the biggest motor running it.

Maybe a 562 XP and a 395 XP would be a better investment?

Normally I am a Stihl guy but I have a line on a deal on some Husky stuff.

There is a 880 for half the cost of new in Ohio on CL right now. Look it over to see if it passes inspection.

I had several 066 660 084 3120 stock and modded. Here is what I am getting at. Depends on how much you use the saw and for what type of cutting.
I like the build of the 084 088 880 over the 3120 personally for a work saw. I also like the 3120's too, just some things I prefer on stihl.

There was a guy I knew running stock 660's rip cutting hardwoods with way to long of bar IMO. He said he had burned 2-3 of them going by dealers instructions on set up.
I sold him a woods ported 084, set it up where it was 4 stroking out of cut and cleared up in cuts and run 32:1. Feed back I got was the saw was ripping with a 50" plus bar and ended his problems.

I think his 660 problems IMO dealer instructions and not knowing how to tune your own eq, running 50:1 , 40" plus bar ripping hardwoods, carb was probably set from dealer with stops to run right at max rpm.

... guy walks into the Husky dealer about four years ago, needs a bar and chain for a near new 3120. Garage sale score .. fifty bucks !!!!!! ... guess the people felt bad selling just the powerhead

Nick, if you have a hookup on the 2 Huskys you mentioned, go for it. Stihl are world class tools, but Husqvarna are too. If you can get one on the cheap, do it. A 395 is a big old brute. Meaner then a 660. Not an 066, but a current 660. Try that 562 and you'll throw your finger in the air at most other saws on the job site.

Ditto regarding a 660 as oppossed to the old 066 .The EPA and others I think forced the hands of the manufacturers .They aren't quite the icon they once were .

I hate running a 660 just a dog all around. I have never owned one but have run a friends a few times to know that I would never buy one.

Back