Workman's Comp?

Christ, WC is a fortune, guess I'll stick with contracting my guys and skip the WC/health ins. for a while

Yes, it is something. I'm well over $17k since October.

I'm with you Bivy, just gotta do it. Prices will never come up if some don't pay it and explain it

I paid a couple grand a year deposit
plus 49 percent on wages..ot..and bonuses
was audited to see if I went over the amount I anticipated making
and penalized when I did
its based on your gross income, and payroll
state fund sucks, but theyre generally the only one you can pick it up from
i'd advise using a temp service, and paying your groundies thru it if its only a part time thing
that way the taxes and everything are paid for you, otherwise you get into a lot of extra hours and bs and a spare bank acct to hold the comp and tax money in
never again would I own a co in ca, and be legit
good luck my friend

I had a guy get hurt and went to 69 percent, took almost 6 to 8 years to go to 49, and held steady there
comp also on overtime rate not base rate....red flag warning, I lost a lot of money here on that issue, because all the drivers did to to 12 hr days

WC is based on wages, ya need to cut the wages as far down as possible, and get to paying as much in mileage, and other expenses as you can, that will really help. In my business we paid a piece rate for the work done, which the bookkeeper translated into hours when she did payroll, and was able to cut reimbursement checks for mileage, equipment rental (ie; you rent chainsaws from your employees) and any receipts related to the work. But that was for forest service contracting, treework may be different.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I hear you Russell, This is a city contracting. They require prevailing wage.
But. I might have a good angle on some good projects......

I've had a CSLB, Nick for 7 years this June.
GL, Probably 6 years now as well as DBA and FBN for ArborMD.

I've heard pay a premium, then quarterly based on payroll.

But. I've heard the door to Audittown is wide open.

Is running a crew of Sub's better?
Everyone carry's their own papers.

If you have a crew of subs, then you have to babysit and make shire that they actually have their own papers.
If they lapse, it's still on you as the contractor. Louisiana is one of the highest in the nation for insurances (napoleanic law) has something to do with so many lawsuits. After Rita and Katrina in 05, the homeowner injuries were thrown into our general pool, and our comp rate went to 76% with never a claim. It's finally now down to 46%. But there are only 2 companies here that carry comp. the other 13 in the phone book pay straight cash, or 1099 their guys, who don't understand what that means and end up un insured and owing tons of taxes. In Texas you aren't mandated to have comp, but for
Big projects its required by the contractor generally.

As a sole proprietor I built my business from the ground up bought all my equipment with cash. So I initially got workmans comp to protect my assets. But looking back it was part of the reason my business is successful today. I landed a contract for 1 senior village a few years back and now have 8 more villages.( they required this ins. to work there) All in 1 town, 3 else where. But let me tell you it's expensive I pay close to 17,000 a year for 10 employees and that was before they do there audit next month, can't wait to see

During Sandy had to sub 3 tree companies just to help me chip for 3 months. One of the companies didn't keep up with there ins. Had to pay for it at end of year. Make sure they have all insurances required before hire.

Louisiana is one of the highest in the nation for insurances (napoleanic law) has something to do with so many lawsuits.

I think it is because so many lawsuits are successful and the amounts are so high.

WOW!

F*&^, how much can a company charge in order to cover WC and still run, presumable with lots of companies not having it, at those rates?

$3.25/ hour for me. State run. For once, yay State.

As a sole proprietor I built my business from the ground up bought all my equipment with cash. So I initially got workmans comp to protect my assets. But looking back it was part of the reason my business is successful today. I landed a contract for 1 senior village a few years back and now have 8 more villages.( they required this ins. to work there) All in 1 town, 3 else where. But let me tell you it's expensive I pay close to 17,000 a year for 10 employees and that was before they do there audit next month, can't wait to see

That's what I pay for 3-4 guys!

70%? Holy crap.

What I think sucks is that it's based on how much your people earn. So theoretically if I have a guy who excels in safety, I should pay him more (which we do). Now I'm getting penalized by the state because I'm paying a % of what the employee earns.

It should be a flat fee. They are basically telling me to save money by running a minimum wage crew.

love
nick

WOW!

F*&^, how much can a company charge in order to cover WC and still run, presumable with lots of companies not having it, at those rates?

$3.25/ hour for me. State run. For once, yay State.
That is going to go up Sean. Soon. Logging is at 20.00 an hour now.

If your guys are raking it isn't tree work it is landscaping. If they are planting, it is excavation. Obviously if someone is aloft with a saw it is tree work. Break your guys down by what they do daily or weekly and you may save a few bucks.
It is all in the way it is written and/or reported.

Back