Workman's Comp?

Bodean

Cali dreamer
Can someone explain Workman's comp to me?

I mean how do you get it, How much is paid into it?

What's the minimum hours per month to qualify for coverage?
What are sample payments like? How much?

Just curious. I saw Sean's thread on GL and well thought about another license thing.

good luck X2
My Ontario experience has been favourable so far, but I think youse Americans get dinged a lot more savagely with premiums than us Canucks.

WC is the Devil on Earth.

Burning_Earth.36365957.jpg

You will scratch your noggin at this, Butch: In Ontario, I am NOT required to carry it as a Schedule 2 company (sole proprietor) with only part-time / casual help.
Ended up signing up for it mostly just for a marketing advantage, and to be able to go after $$$ commercial / municipal work.

Ask your insurance agent if he can get you a quote. You will likely pay 40-50 percent of gross wages in California. For over time they generously only charge you regular rate. .. You will probably need a ridiculous deposit that they hold for eternity that does not go toward premiums. I have paid around $18k since October in just comp

Cheap here, even when I had an employee I only paid $600 a year for both of us. Most big commercial jobs I have to show proof that I have WC and also liability insurance.
The rule here is if a customer hires a contractor to do work on their property not covered with WC, the customer is liable for the contractor's injuries.

Here in Washington you can only get insurance from the State. This means no shopping, you pay what they say. My cost is 3.30 per hour.

Here in Washington you can only get insurance from the State. This means no shopping, you pay what they say. My cost is 3.30 per hour.

We're fortunate that way, fo Sho. By my figuring, with what I heard was the country's highest Minimum Wage, the most our flat hourly rate figures out to be about 33% of wages, less actually. Full-on ground felling without any previous dismantling is support to go into a different Risk Class, around $15/ hour, probably a bit less. I was reading a letter from Wa Dept of Labor and Industries (gov't agency responsible for our WC/ Industrial Insurance) that logging WC has more than doubled in the last 5 years due to more injuries, and less reported hours in Logging Risk Class.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
My insurance agent is on the case, I'm looking forward to her response.

I'm looking at some sweet deals where WC would just tip the scales to my favor...
but, I've heard some crazy Premium then like 40% of Gross... Which is like Italian Mobster wages...

here in OK, you can either go w/ private wc or w/ the state wc program. most private companies have a minimum premium of around 10k whereas the state does not. Im at about 28% but after 3 years, i now have a modifier of below 1 so i get a discount each month. the longer you go without a claim, the lower the rate gets.

as long as you can keep injuries at bay or pay them out of pocket vs a wc claim, your rates will start to go down.

My guys appreciate the coverage ..and do my clients

Yes it's expensive ..., but my guys are worth it

Hey .... All you high and mighty arbs in my area with ghost certs.....the ISA won't pay shit to your dudes if they get hurt. I educate my clients about your BS....

I pay and don't look back........we all still make money.

Back