Any Rope Wrench or Hitch Hiker users here?

Me climbing i just got my HH and Cmi foot ascender. I think 7 wraps, is too much for my 180lb body. It was twitchy on descent. IMG_1312.JPG IMG_1307.JPG IMG_1308.JPG IMG_1310.JPG

Charles, you might think of shortening the bridge. Can you reach it leaned way over the back of your saddle. Mine was long like that, and when limbwalking I couldnt reach the hitch.

Master, yes its a bloody knee i was putting my pruning saw away and nicked my knee...I only climbed in shorts today cause its like 98 in the shade...lol...But no normally i don't climb in shorts its just hot as iraq here in bham....And, Nick yea i actually was thinking that. The only problem i have with a shorter bridge is on ascent is it ok to kinda hang down a litle, Cause, when i keep it long like that its right in my face while on the way up so i can see it and keep a eye on it. Secondly, i have a ? for you Nick, Can i go with a 6 wrap i only weight 180 the 7 wrap was way to tight and finicky on the way down.. I also wasn't nervous on the ascsent this time on DDrt there is way more going on in my opinion cause u have all the extra rope, beener's, ect... I felt way safer on srt honestly. But any help would be appriciated. My climb rights will be here monday just looked...Thanks for the advice Master and Nick. P.s. Nick how short should i make it bout a foot across knot to knot?

My bridges are a foot or less across I would guess. The wraps question is going to vary from climber to climber. For me, with poison Ivy, my 162lb 5.8% BF ( :) ) and HRC cordage I use 7 wraps. I just retired my original piece of HRC, almost 12 months on it climbing everyday... The last month or so I had switched to 6 wraps as it was getting really worn. The reliability finally started to diminish with 6 wraps so I replaced it and went back to 7 with the brand new stuff with no issues.

Experiment low and slow, 6 wraps, 7 wraps, tight, looser, a little tighter, a little tighter and find what works for you and your rope.

Thanks, man im using hrc also i tied it pretty tight with 7 wraps then sat into it then tied it again. yea the 7 was locking up on the way down. Ill try 6 wraps that xtc fire and hrc is grabby.

Almost forgot. That hrc is bad ass. An, u said u went a year on it, is awsome and i can now see why.

Nick, are you using a VT or what friction hitch?

Just wanted to take a sec. And let everyone know who has kids. Happy fathers day.......Charles.

So I recently got a HH and am pretty impressed. I used a fairly loose 6 wrap and it worked great with both HRC and Ice. But I'm only 150- 160 geared up.

Any one have any idea why an oval biner is necessary? I'd like to have a little more room to the sides of my HH for a tether made of Ice or some other weight bearing
cordage so I can play with exchanging SRT and DDRT setups seamlessly (a 7inch sewn eye/eye dynema strap would be perfect).
I used a piece of throw line for a tether and that's fine for advancing but I think I want to clip in my eye splice to the tether occasionally (not sure just a thought).
I have a DMM steal pear that has a similar bend radius at the top I'm thinking of trying but would like to hear what may go wrong that I should be on the look out for.

Plus mine came with a CT steel oval biner and I've found the Petzl Oxan clips in much better.

If the DMM is the same thickness and bend radius it should be OK. Make sure that when loaded the biner doesnt bottom out on the slot hence not give you full grip. The reason I liked the ovals is you can load the HH on the rope then spin it around and put it on and off of your harness easily. I tried the load bearing tether for Ddrt attachment but found it inconsistent with regard to release. Play low and slow.....

Hello, I must ask what is a better "oval beener" to use with the HH. I have had my HH for bout 3 days and some change and love it, I climbed low n slow for bout 10 min then i climbed to my TIP and it worked pretty darn well until i reached the brand new parts of my rope that has been in the bag. All and all i like it alot so far. I'm also thinking of having someone sew me a piece of oceans poly like Nick B. has on his.

Thanks for the info PCTree. I really look forward to climbing on the HH a lot more in the future.

Good Job!

Its a 6 or 7 wrap no braid vt thing... but then I collapse the top coil into a braid. I have pics somewhere.

If I'm knot mistaken, that's a valdotain aka french prussic, as opposed to the Valdotain tresse, with the braids.

I have to use 7 tight wraps on the provided Beeline on poison hyvee, old, but not worn and fuzzy. 6 doesn't grab. I think that my hitch 'dials in' as it works on the line. I'll sometimes slide the HH along the rope as opposed to retieing. Dunno how much that affects the characteristics/ function.

Thanks, Sean, and Nick. for the input and advice. I have noticed with my climbing line after it runs through the HH its kinda flat. Should i be worried bout that at all?. But, Sean as for the french prussik i went back to 7 wraps i sit in it and then retie the slack out of it then im good to go..Then, after all that it runs smooth. Nick, yea i have been using the slick line and i really don't like it. I was thinking of making a chest harness like you did, And what is the elec.tape version you mentioned, Do you have a pic of it? The thing with the slick line is it moves about even with two double fisherman knots on each end. I did shorten my bridge though also like you suggested it's way nicer on ascents. For the reason its lower and i can get a longer stroke with my arm's and my hands now don't ever hit the Hrc cord. Thanks a million for that suggestion.

Last edited:
Its right in the middle:

IMG_5840.JPG

Just kidding

IMG_20121002_122959.jpg

IMG_20121002_124213.jpg

First, thought Nick, lmfao.:lol: "In the middle".Did you sew the ends tight before you taped them.?. I'm askin because i don't have a sewing machine...I mean my wife does, will that work?

Last edited:
Back