Any Rope Wrench or Hitch Hiker users here?

Ahhhh, shoot! 8)

Is the going to be an OEM production tending loop? Stitched eyes on some sort of super power , small diameter cord?? Also serving as a corner trap??

May be a larger oval biner, gives more room at the sides for some sort of rated pulley/ tending tether combo??

Other idea I had was jet packs......

Dave great tip on the tail tuck! Please thank your wife now that Burnham clued us in;)
Love to make the list Paul when your ready:):)

All things heavenly rarify to air. Trèès pŕoduce that heavenly air. Breathe air and take care.

I wonder if it's a new version of the HH or just a tending option. I think his comment could go either way.

I think it will have an integrated pulley, a shorter bottom slot and it may be fractionally smaller overall.

Oh, and if it's not all chromed, I'll be very disappointed!
Lol!

I used my HH with the modified fixe pulley yesterday.
It went really well for tending, but as I thought a bit fiddly getting on and off when I wanted to move my rope to the other side of a branch...but it got a bit easier as the day went on.
Only thing better for yesterday than the HH would have been a wraptor!

On another note...been hanging out on the SRT forum on facebook, the majority of folks there seem to be ropewrench users.
I have always had the thought that the RW could be awkward when getting up through lots of small branches, or when your rope is hard against a branch...I manage with the HH, but thought the RW would be much more difficult?
This is one of the reasons I waited to go SRT, when Paul had his prototype circulating here it just looked so much more streamlined overall than the RW which was already in production.
Any wrenchers got some input? I confess to never having tried one.

I'm not a wrencher either Fi but I do like the HH. On pines though, it seems like it only takes one drop of sap to nearly lock it up. I've been using another steel oval instead of the bridge ring and disconnects/reconnects are made much easier and faster.

Agree about the sap, my first climb with my brand new rope was a sappy macrocarpa...had to change to the other end just to get off the ground next climb!
I'm waiting for the 'mystery upgrade' that Paul alluded to...if it's a pulley type thingy, I'm in!

...Any wrenchers got some input? I confess to never having tried one.

I started with a HH and eventually got a RW out of curiosity. While the RW works well, I never really warmed up to it and always defaulted to the HH.

Now I usually go for the BDB first and then the RR. However, I miss a well set up HH enough that I climb on it just for the pleasure occasionally. I also use the HH when I want to use a rope that I can't get the BDB or RR to work with (or don't want to adjust them to work).

How 'bout this?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Do4r6BNIA0k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I'll be very honest, I remember seeing that and got VERY excited about having
a "mechanical" Hitch Hiker. I have even experimented with a mechanical "add on"
and have had some pretty good results. Just haven't had time to go back and spend
time to refine it. I absolutely LOVE the idea! The only thing I would try to improve on
is the steel carabiner that attaches to the bridge. I would want to have something that
wouldn't have the possibility of getting misaligned. Something similar to side plates
like the BDB. :thumbup::D

On another note...been hanging out on the SRT forum on facebook, the majority of folks there seem to be ropewrench users.
I have always had the thought that the RW could be awkward when getting up through lots of small branches, or when your rope is hard against a branch...I manage with the HH, but thought the RW would be much more difficult?
This is one of the reasons I waited to go SRT, when Paul had his prototype circulating here it just looked so much more streamlined overall than the RW which was already in production.
Any wrenchers got some input? I confess to never having tried one.

Yes, the RW has a huge following and for good reason. Last year I was given a RW (ZK1) and put a good bit of climb time on it. At the time I hadn't quite refined my HH to tend as good as it does right now and I was amazed at how easily it tended. But, as you said, it sits on the rope VERY different than the HH, and confirmed the original reason I made the decision to go with the HH and not the RW. It's a great piece of gear that functions extremely well, but the way it sits on the rope just isn't for me. I'll continue to use it from time to time, but I do love my HH. :thumbup: ;)

Of course using the 'Bone has changed everything! And then again I'll have the RR in another month to start using..... what an incredibly exciting time to be involved in the tree climbing world!!! :thumbup::D

Randy

What misalignment at the bridge? Does the biner shift around in the HH as well?

Peter

Yes, the oval 'biner has the natural tendency to want misalign unless it's tended in a "perfectly" straight line.
It can be very frustrating because it will not tend when it misaligns at the "bottom" of the HH. :(
I have put in "stoppers" on the 'biner so it doesn't happen anymore, but it's more "clutter" on the system.....

...Any wrenchers got some input? I confess to never having tried one.

Bermy, I have climbed on the RW as well as all the other tools available for SRWP. They are all good. Some are better at certain specific aspects so climbers will be drawn to those that are important to them.

With that said, for me the Hitch Hiker still has more checks in the plus column and by a wide margin. I understand the current excitement over full mechanicals but as of yet they can't compete with a hitch based system and of the hitch based systems the HH stands alone by virtue of its design.

Back