Any Rope Wrench or Hitch Hiker users here?

OK, what mood corresponds to what device?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have the Zk-1 and just made a flexible tether. I like the RW because it tends so smoothly when dialed in right. When I do have the extra cash I was thinking of getting the ISC version or the HH. I have used the RW for pruning Live Oaks and especially like it for moving from one tree to another when needed. I would like to use it for removals but tends to get in the way when I am working the spar so that is one reason I was thinking the HH would be nice for. Also I have read on other forums that HH has very little sit back when it grips.

little sit back, no need to engage, as with the RW, and can go from srt to ddrt to srt... no changes.

I had a crane job where it was sweet to be able to work down the spar by changing back and forth, SRT choke (no limbs) and Ddrt to lower down from the top of the log to the bottom of the log.

I have been climbing on a Hitch Hiker since it was first released. I had a ZK-2 loaned to me and tried it with homemade stiff tether. I was never able to get comfortable with the Wrench so I gave up. I got a new ZK-2 and ABR stiff tether at the Ohio TCC so I figured I would give it another try, I was still unable to dial it in the way I wanted it. Its a great tool and certainly innovative but it isnt for me.

For me, the Hitchhiker and Wrench both do the same thing, they are single line progress adjusters. Up, down, stop. The Hitchhiker, my rope and cord do all of those things perfectly. When I am using it I dont think 'I wish this went up easier', or 'I cant go down well enough', 'slack is hard to tend' etc. so adjusting from the HH to the RW is bothersome and not worth it. I totally understand how long time users of the RW feel the same way, why bother tuning something in if what I have does everything I want it to without conceivable improvement.

IMO for a user who has tried neither, the HH is a better choice. They both perform their functions perfectly, so I look to durability, compactness, ease of use, and cost. The HH is cheap to replace the cord on (yes knotted cord can be used with the RW but I prefer spliced hitch cords for that type of setup) and the unit itself will in all likelihood last my entire career. The materials used, its construction, and breaking strength of the HH are all top notch (tool steel, high quality aluminum, mbs 40kn). There arent any moving parts or joints to gum up and nothing to break. The HH setup is shorter/less bulky and while the HH weighs probably 2-3 what the RW does the weight is on the rope and isnt a concern for me at all. I found that the situating of the RW and when it engages/disengages etc was bothersome compared to the function of the HH, which is pull cord go down let go of cord stop, go up and either tend slack or pull up on HH tether. The HH is slightly more expensive but includes a hitch cord and carabiner.

No matter what, I feel like they are both great products at a good value. In the end, the HH works best for me, the way I climb and my values.

I’m thinking I should be a Hitch Hiker user. Just read a bunch of the posts and other thread tonight, watched the vids..

Have been thinking SRT might be useful sometimes. Last time I tied a running bowline on a takedown spar and descended 20 ft. I noticed my hitch did bind up. Funny, I’ve always just worked with it.

I’ll go back through all the posts and info. to see what else I can learn but :

Does HH work with any climbing rope?
Anything else I should get to go with it?
What is best hitch cord replacement rope? And if in 10mm?

I think HRC is the best cordage, but for you Merle, the 10mm Beeline might be best. To climb SRT you will you need a hand and foot ascender and a rope thats compatible. Most modern 16/24 strand ropes will work fine.

Got a HH yesterday had the chance to play in the yard with it:D
Wow what a tool. I was glad I have been reading everyone's comments and ways of dialing it in, thank you all!

little sit back, no need to engage, as with the RW, and can go from srt to ddrt to srt... no changes.

I had a crane job where it was sweet to be able to work down the spar by changing back and forth, SRT choke (no limbs) and Ddrt to lower down from the top of the log to the bottom of the log.

Thats sounds very efficient. I like :)

I have been climbing on a Hitch Hiker since it was first released. I had a ZK-2 loaned to me and tried it with homemade stiff tether. I was never able to get comfortable with the Wrench so I gave up. I got a new ZK-2 and ABR stiff tether at the Ohio TCC so I figured I would give it another try, I was still unable to dial it in the way I wanted it. Its a great tool and certainly innovative but it isnt for me.

For me, the Hitchhiker and Wrench both do the same thing, they are single line progress adjusters. Up, down, stop. The Hitchhiker, my rope and cord do all of those things perfectly. When I am using it I dont think 'I wish this went up easier', or 'I cant go down well enough', 'slack is hard to tend' etc. so adjusting from the HH to the RW is bothersome and not worth it. I totally understand how long time users of the RW feel the same way, why bother tuning something in if what I have does everything I want it to without conceivable improvement.

IMO for a user who has tried neither, the HH is a better choice. They both perform their functions perfectly, so I look to durability, compactness, ease of use, and cost. The HH is cheap to replace the cord on (yes knotted cord can be used with the RW but I prefer spliced hitch cords for that type of setup) and the unit itself will in all likelihood last my entire career. The materials used, its construction, and breaking strength of the HH are all top notch (tool steel, high quality aluminum, mbs 40kn). There arent any moving parts or joints to gum up and nothing to break. The HH setup is shorter/less bulky and while the HH weighs probably 2-3 what the RW does the weight is on the rope and isnt a concern for me at all. I found that the situating of the RW and when it engages/disengages etc was bothersome compared to the function of the HH, which is pull cord go down let go of cord stop, go up and either tend slack or pull up on HH tether. The HH is slightly more expensive but includes a hitch cord and carabiner.

No matter what, I feel like they are both great products at a good value. In the end, the HH works best for me, the way I climb and my values.

Thanks Nick for all the feedback. Your video and info regarding the HH has been informative.

I’m thinking I should be a Hitch Hiker user. Just read a bunch of the posts and other thread tonight, watched the vids..

+1 on the HH!

Have been thinking SRT might be useful sometimes. Last time I tied a running bowline on a takedown spar and descended 20 ft. I noticed my hitch did bind up. Funny, I’ve always just worked with it.

I have been here too. Lol

Same as Chris for me. I've been using all 3.

The wrench is the smoothest for me because it takes the largest amount of friction off my hitch. It's nice on prunes.

HH is more compact, switches between drt&srt quickly, and can get nice and close when you're blocking down a removal on a choked srt TIP.

I still use my unicender too. It's by far the fastest to setup, and can also switch between drt&srt. It's also nice on removals. It's awkward for me SRT when moving laterally though.. I'm talking limbwalks and descending swings. It's ideal for fast go up and get those x limbs and get on the ground.

Unless you make a quickly removable tether for the RW like I have, the HH is the most versatile of the 3.

As a production climber who is also a sole proprietor, the switch to SRT is about the best gear move I've made in the short lifespan of my biz. SRT allows a far greater ease of access, and working the tree becomes much less of a chore and more a challenging puzzle. Not to mention the safety aspect; most people I work with understand that using an LD as a base anchor allows them to lower me safely to the ground in the event of an injury. While, as yet, I haven't used the RW I feel that there is little improvement it could offer to SRT climbing over the HH...and the ease of changeability btw DRT makes it the clear choice, IMO. Sean's example of the crane job is perfect.

As a production climber who is also a sole proprietor, the switch to SRT is about the best gear move I've made in the short lifespan of my biz. SRT allows a far greater ease of access, and working the tree becomes much less of a chore and more a challenging puzzle. Not to mention the safety aspect; most people I work with understand that using an LD as a base anchor allows them to lower me safely to the ground in the event of an injury. While, as yet, I haven't used the RW I feel that there is little improvement it could offer to SRT climbing over the HH...and the ease of changeability btw DRT makes it the clear choice, IMO. Sean's example of the crane job is perfect.

Do you use slings and pulleys for redirects?

In SRT you just use branches for redirecting. Occasionally a sling if you know you're coming back up that way. No pulleys necessary in SRT because there's no running rope.

In SRT you just use branches for redirecting. Occasionally a sling if you know you're coming back up that way. No pulleys necessary in SRT because there's no running rope.

Oh yeh, I knew that I was just checking to see if anyone else did :D

I love it when these questions/discussions come up, I get to learn more about my HH(;)), and learn of
more "ways" to use it listening to climbers who have WAY more experience than I do..... :thumbupold:

Jesse Huffman made this vid a while back with his rope wrench. Good example of how SRT redirects.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/KLC0yBq7bsE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back