Cutting off healed over stubs?

bstewert

TreeHouser
This oak has a bunch of poor cuts that have mostly healed over, but are a bit of an eyesore on an otherwise magnificent tree. Do you think it would be a problem to "clean up" the stubs, or should I just leave 'em be?

IMG_1977.jpg

IMG_1978.jpg

IMG_1979.jpg

An old warrior there. I defer to more knowledgable folks, but why cut off healed wounds and risk microorganisms getting in?

That’s one of the hardest things to do for me, leave those stubs be, since I like the artistry of tree trimming so much. Healed over I can leave pretty easy, 60 or 70% ok, 30 or 40% healed tempts me to the limit - or twice as long as those and partialy healed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I wasn't really asking about that one (by my toes in pic #2) that was fully healed. I mean the poorly healed ones that are too long. Some are one foot long, 30% healed and 70% rotting.

It is ok to cut the dead material, no good reason to cut into live tissue. I'd say leave the ones in your picture alone

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
OK, thanks everyone. When I get back in the tree I'll take some pics of more questionable ones. For these ones, I'll just leave alone.

If you watch the natural way an oak deals with dead limbs.. Often times there is a large rounded stub after the limb falls off and the collar has compartmentalized around the wound... Some you can even stand on. Leave em be...

Thanks Stephen. I was hoping to see the word compartmentalize. Trees do not heal.

I say leave them.

Them ain't old stubs, them's young burls.

The artistry of the tree trumps that of the trimmer.

Collars move. Don't cut the collar.

Unanimity at the House--gotta Love it!

Back