Base Tie Rescue System/Kit

Thanks for the welcome everyone.

I'm by no means an expert but we practice a variety of rescues with our fire dept.'s rescue training. We don't use our personnel in

training exercises however. The last tree rescue I heard about was an unconscious climber thankfully

nestled in the crotch of a tree. Rescuers spiked up attached a pulley and rope with a rack base tied and lowered him to the ground.

Around 45 minutes from the page
Hence the "thankfully nestled in the crotch of a tree".
The area was remote.

Last summer the Wisconsin Arborist Association had an AR training seminar and the Madison High Angle Rescue team came to show us how they would rescue a climber. It took them well over an hour to get the dummy our of the tree. The chief of the team said that was pretty much what it would take in the real world. The rescue world works by an entirely different set of rules than we do. When they rig anything up, safety is their number one concern.... Not speed. When they come to a climber in a tree, that's a totally new situation for them and they may not be sure how to proceed. They will always err on the side of caution, which means increased time.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Rescue response time should be a call to climbers to configure several rescue techniques and the tools to accomplish them.
Based on Nick's reviews I'm hopeful the Hitch Hiker is going to be a great tool for not only climbing work but also rescue scenarios too.

Moral of the Story: Climbing crews are pretty much on their own for rescue.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Seeing Kevin Bingham incorporate this principle into his Masters Climb at TreeJam put the biggest smile on my face. We need to get that man a proper kit!

Good on you, and Luke...good piece of gear. I still think an RQ3 rescue 8 would be a much preferable choice of kit for this system, but that's just a minor quibble. This is fine as is.

Could someone post a picture of the setup...I can't do video on my stone-age connection.
Thanks

Could someone post a picture of the setup...I can't do video on my stone-age connection.
Thanks

https://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?category_id=161&item=3538

BTRK.jpg

Screen Shot 2013-07-24 at 7.51.28 PM.png

I need new reading glasses, I think.
That picture is all blurry.

Here Fiona, (and Stig).

This is DMC's pic. essentially this is the system set up for a lower. In practical use you leave the gear in the bag, setting just the butterfly knots and being ready to deploy the kit if needed.

ELS.JPG

Big THANKS to Dave for hi help with this, and willingness to let me take his idea and run with it. Whether Luke sells a million kits or not a single one, I still love the idea and 'use' it every day on every climb. It may not be perfect in every situation but its so simple to set up (two knots) and take down - the kit is so small and just 'there' in my bag - and IF I ever need it I sure will be glad I didnt skip tying two butterfly knots.

Don't feel bad Stig I WAS wearing my glasses and couldn't see it either haha!

Thanks a bunch Nick and Dave. So the green rope is your regular SRT climb line...and the red rope is the one that comes with the kit?

Yes.

But in the production kit its a Climbing Technology figure 8 (not the Petzl Pirahna in Daves picture) and its a green/black rope that is the rescue line (not the red one in dave pic). Here is a description of the function:

"After setting a climbing line and tying it off at the base of the tree you simply install 2 butterfly knots, 24" apart, above the base tie. If a rescue becomes necessary a rescuer attaches the included figure 8 descender to the lower knot and the end of the rescue line to the upper knot. After taking up the slack and locking off the figure 8, with a hand on the brake line the rescuer cuts the connecting link of the climbing line between the knots with the included hand pruners. This transfers the weight of the climber to the rescue line and allows safe fast lowering.

The kit is comprised of:

100' of Teufelberger 10mm Sirius Reep Schnur with a sewn eye
(1) Climbing Technology Rescue 8
(1) Large Weaver Throwline Bag
(2) Climbing Technology Oval Carabiner
(1) Phoenix "Red & White" Hand Pruner
(1) Weaver Pruner Holster"

I wouldnt set it up like that pre-climb though, just leave it in the bag till you need it. Having less weight on the downhill side of your rope makes things easier while you are climbing.

Back