Ropewrench ZK-2 - Trade for Hitchhiker

Too bulky for you Nick? It's much less compact than a HH. Like all things it takes some getting used to.

I dunno.... Meg might not like the deal

hitchhiker-woman-wallpaper.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
A couple people asked me why I was switching.

I have been climbing on a Hitch Hiker since it was first released. I had a ZK-2 loaned to me and tried it with homemade stiff tether. I was never able to get comfortable with the Wrench so I gave up. I got a new ZK-2 and ABR stiff tether at the Ohio TCC so I figured I would give it another try, I was still unable to dial it in the way I wanted it. Its a great tool and certainly innovative but it isnt for me.

Also when I take friends rec climbing I always strive to use the same system as them so that my actions are an example and can be repeated. As a result I usually end up climbing DRT since I dont have 2 full SRT setups. Originally I planned to keep the ZK-2 as a 2nd setup but want a 2nd HH instead.

For me, the Hitchhiker and Wrench both do the same thing, they are single line progress adjusters. Up, down, stop. The Hitchhiker, my rope and cord do all of those things perfectly. When I am using it I dont think 'I wish this went up easier', or 'I cant go down well enough', 'slack is hard to tend' etc. so adjusting from the HH to the RW is bothersome and not worth it. I totally understand how long time users of the RW feel the same way, why bother tuning something in if what I have does everything I want it to without conceivable improvement.

IMO for a user who has tried neither, the HH is a better choice. They both perform their functions perfectly, so I look to durability, compactness, ease of use, and cost. The HH is cheap to replace the cord on (yes knotted cord can be used with the RW but I prefer spliced hitch cords for that type of setup) and the unit itself will in all likelihood last my entire career. The materials used, its construction, and breaking strength of the HH are all top notch (tool steel, high quality aluminum, mbs 40kn). There arent any moving parts or joints to gum up and nothing to break. The HH setup is shorter/less bulky and while the HH weighs probably 2-3 what the RW does the weight is on the rope and isnt a concern for me at all. I found that the situating of the RW and when it engages/disengages etc was bothersome compared to the function of the HH, which is pull cord go down let go of cord stop, go up and either tend slack or pull up on HH tether. The HH is slightly more expensive but includes a hitch cord and carabiner.

No matter what, I feel like they are both great products at a good value. In the end, the HH works best for me, the way I climb and my values.

And yes, the above suggested trade is agreeable. :)

Does anyone have any old climbing rope that is still good they want to come off of i like the 1/2 in rope i can grip it way better then the 11mm any length will do...

We can Probly work it out... Paul, is it the same as the production model?
Really cannt remember what he has, most of the prototypes though I used 6065 aluminum instead of the 7075 used for the production ones so will wear quicker. I was interested in trading as I have never climbed on a wrench but I have given my hitch climber pulley away and am too lazy to splice up eye and eyes....

I have an original RW model (steel not AL), unused, I would like to trade or put toward a HH

Back