Carabiner fasten knot for DdRT application

woodworkingboy

TreeHouser
Some crane jobs can be very rapid succession work, up to tie off the cable, then quickly ride my hitch on down, pull out my climbing line through the ring in the hook, and quickly back up again to do the same in another tree. Our crew works quite fast when knocking them down. I need to use my longer rope for a job coming up, the one without a spliced eye at the end to attach at my saddle. I don't want to be tying and untying to a carabiner, so I was thinking to use a figure 8 knot with a loose loop that I can quickly fasten and release from said carabiner, with no need to retie. A large knot, just have to make sure that it pulls through the ring above ok. A good choice? An anchor hitch is generally my preferred knot as an attachment to a carabiner in most situations. Thanks for any thoughts.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks, that occurred to me as well. Figure 8 is a hell of a secure knot, but it is a harder one to untie after loading.

Jay, for what you need a locking snap with a closed eye would be better than a carabiner. No worries on cross-loading so you are good using the Bowline. Practice fast tying and if you have any doubts use a yosemite finish.

It's a straight ride down, sometimes a bit of lateral movement when cabling off. I don't think of cross loading as a concern, basically. I do happen to have a locking snap with a closed eye, but didn't consider it for this application. If I practice up a bit, perhaps tying and untying wouldn't be a chore. 18 tall Pines. A bowline seems to be the general consensus. Dave, what is meant by a yosemite finish, I'm unfamiliar with the term? Thanks guys.

Great, I was completely unfamiliar with that way to make a bowling more secure. :)

RS061_500_1.JPG

:D

Thumb cuffs, I imagine they are painful ... just a tongue-in-cheek answer to your question to Butch's post. 8)

Really NOT a serious option! :lol:

I DO use the Yosemite finish for a bowline. ;)

i use a double fishermans knot. i like it cause it holds the biner tight, but if you pull the biner out it is fast to untie as it becomes a slip knot. i will pull the biner out and leave the knot when pulling the rope out. if the knot passes the hook/crotch, exellent, if it hangs up a good pull will undo the knot and allow the rope to pass.

I rock a double fishermans as well, quick too tie and untie with a bit of practice, and as mentioned, you can leave it on the rope and pull it up. If it pulls through, awesome. If not, no biggie, it'll untie itself and pull through, so no worries of getting stuck.

The double fisherman's seems like the best option ... with the right biner.

Things get a little hectic sometimes, lots of movement in an abbreviated period of time, I guess you can say an advantage that results from a crew that well knows their jobs. So, I was mainly looking for a knot that I didn't have to retie. I know the figure 8 is not a knot favored by tree workers except for mainly an end line knot, but it does seem like possibly a good choice for a permanent knot that is going to be getting bounced around. I'd have to see how it clears the ring, might be a problem with the fatter rope I'll be using. I do much appreciate the advise, still require lots of study.

Stephen, do you ever tie an anchor hitch by looping the line through the first turns, then looping it through again? I saw the knot tied that way with the claim of added security. I haven't tried it. I find a half hitch for security is pretty pointless, it seems to quickly fall out. I guess it's why they have the end seized in the diagram you posted.

I use the double fishemans - there is a quick way to tie it, but can't find a video. Don't dismiss the fig 8 - fast & simple to tie & not too bad to undo if set & dressed correctly

I bought a large elongated and pretty heavy rounded edge steel ring yesterday to hang on the hook, manufactured here but not made with climbing in mind, so some roughness in the inner edge needed to be filed and buffed up. SWL like four tons. Sold in the hardware store in the rigging section :lol:. It's large enough that any knot will easily slip through, including the figure eight in half inch rope. I guess it wouldn't hurt either to secure the ring to the hook with a piece of cord. Hooks seem to come in various conditions, having my own ring to run my rope through I think is advantageous.

Looks like this, but the same larger radius at both ends.

Attachments

• Rigging_for_Steel_Wire_Rope_634546382097022228_11.jpg
    Rigging_for_Steel_Wire_Rope_634546382097022228_11.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 67
Back