Trouble with arms

TENS unit has worked wonders for me with my arm pain. I recently started taking magnesium supplements as well for my ongoing foot problems. My chiropractor recommended that. Supposedly it helps relax muscles in spasm. I noticed a difference almost over night..... My hands and forearms felt great and I didn't even notice a problem with those to begin with.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Major + on the TENS they are awesome. I rehabbed my syatic (sp) nerve with one in a week and a half, my neighbor was a chiropractor when I lived in Milwaukee.

Magnesium is one of the main ingredients in Epsom salts. You can take Epsom salt with water to relieve constipation.

So there you go. :p

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Epsom salts is also a recommended additive when making your own garden fertilizer, adding to fish emulsion, etc. It's good stuff.

There are a number of vids at youtube showing the cross friction massage techniques that Gary mentioned.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Ft64kasMz5M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Youse guys!!

The orthopedic sports medical Dr I go to, has a small unit that's like a miniature jack hammer...compressed air drives a small hammer thingy that she wallops into the sore spot where there is scar tissue...ya, I know about those purple spots...and the cold sweat!

Any of you guys have pain around your biceps, inside or outside your arms? With lots of hand planing and hefting chainsaws, I think it is adding up. Often at night in bed I have to sleep in one position or it starts throbbing, an achy kind of pain. It can go through the roof suddenly sometimes with a quick movement. I don't really have time to give it a rest, which does seem to help, but not like it goes immediately away. I never had trouble with my arms before, kind of my main asset. Started a couple weeks ago, and I don't think it is other issue health related. Been taking some aspirin, that's about it. A drag....

Thanks for advice.

Jay is it? Just came on this thread and was exited for the opportunity to possibly be of help. I feel like I have a hand full of things to share that others may not be aware of, or, I through experiences in life might have a fair amount of dexterity around. The idea of having a body that works to do what you want is one of those things.

I have not dealt with what you describe specifically but if it were happening to me today I would expect (as an example) to be able to be out of the woods or totally free of pain within hours or a day . Of course I started out with trying to ignore my bodies muscle issues and ‘resting’ through it. And next, being a part of our modern civilization, I tried turning responsibility over to someone else for a stated fee. I probably have spent between 50 and 100K through the years on different doctors and modalities looking for a way that I could continue doing what I wanted, and avoid putting in personal effort, and still function without pain. Non of that worked for me. To anyone who can get away with it, my hat is off to you - today.

As a result of my journey in life I have finally arrived at the idea of starting with the end in mind. Namely that I want a body that works and functions for everything I want to do up until the time of my death. Can we find that anywhere in the world? Absolutely, there is as much evidence of that in various places and cultures as there is that I am old and broken down at X age and cannot do Y anymore.

The most straight forward information that I have found is contained in a book called, Somatics by Thomas Hanna. There is a bunch of generously given free info. on a website, blog, YouTube vids. etc. by a Somatics practioner named Martha Peterson
http://www.essentialsomatics.com/. She also does Skype sessions which is what I would do as a part of first learning what would give me results QUICKLEY.

One thing I would say to describe the basic premiss of Somatics is that our bodies muscles are engaged only by a signal from our brain. Through various means including one time injuries and daily continued use our brains can give a signal for our muscles to engage and then ‘forget’ to turn off. Somatics then is the process of going through various movements with awareness of turning off the signal for the muscles to engage.

I call these movements because they are easy to do and can be done even when in extreme pain. ( I have done them for 30 minutes at a time and 5 or 6 times a day to work through Sciatica that had me out of work for a couple of months and in so much pain I could not sleep.) The goal however is to take your body through the various stages of ‘freeing up’ in a matter of weeks or couple of months spending 15 to 30 min. per day. Maintenance is then 10 min. per day through life.

Just to be clear to anyone who reads this I love it that I have access to western medicine. I would do that first if I had a bone sticking out the side of my leg or a ruptured appendix. I think ruling out a medical issue is always a wise idea first.

If this sounds interesting to you Jay, I would be happy to give any more info. or perspective I can.

Merle, yes it is Jay. Thanks for your post. I will read up on Somatics, and look at Martha's site. I hadn't heard of it before. I think that many of us if we don't have some problem going on already, will develop one in the future. I don't know many people that do intensive physical work, and at some point don't start experiencing discomfort. I think that there would be a lot of interest here to learn of an effective system that will eliminate the problems.

Glad you found it interesting to consider Jay. Pete Egoscue wrote a book called, Pain Free. In it he said something like 80% of all adults in the industrialized world will have back problems at some point in life with about 40% having chronic (does that mean ongoing?) problems. Yeah, I would say people who use their bodies like we do could easily be at the head of the list. Egoscue then goes on to ask, how come almost no kids have these kind of back/body issues?

Egoscues info. is great. I would recommend him to anyone who wanted great results and was happy to put in more time or was interested in exorcise more. I just want great pain free results in the shortest time possible per day. That’s Somatics.

An interesting point to be aware of as you move forward and check this info. out is that muscles that are tight, sore, painful etc. are or will soon be out of balance muscles. At the same time or next to happen is that joints/bones are moved out of alignment. When a joint is used in an out of alignment position there will be disfunction, swelling/pain, and then physical damage.

Great that you are catching this now. I would expect that in a very short period of time you could be using your arms as much as you ever have and have them feeling as good as they ever did.

I always figure in that picture of Butch that he is doing something with electricity there.....or maybe just batteries.

Back