Trouble with arms

woodworkingboy

TreeHouser
Any of you guys have pain around your biceps, inside or outside your arms? With lots of hand planing and hefting chainsaws, I think it is adding up. Often at night in bed I have to sleep in one position or it starts throbbing, an achy kind of pain. It can go through the roof suddenly sometimes with a quick movement. I don't really have time to give it a rest, which does seem to help, but not like it goes immediately away. I never had trouble with my arms before, kind of my main asset. Started a couple weeks ago, and I don't think it is other issue health related. Been taking some aspirin, that's about it. A drag....

Thanks for advice.

No, nothing like what you say. But, I have a torn right bi and my left is waiting to go.... My arms "go to sleep" real easy when I'm in bed - I hate it!

My arms will sleep with no reason. Recently, four or so months, my lower left bicep near the joint has been really hurtin. No ideas.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
A tingling sensation here sometimes too, like going to sleep. Wonder if biceps maybe get stretched out or something, kind of how it feels.

..... some years back Tendinitis introduced itself , completely related to chainsaw use and climbing... chronic more than acute but when acute sleeping movements waken me with pain all night long, daytime discomfort has made working even shifting while driving impossible.... the good news is a chiropractor diagnosed the ailment as well as the cause which turns out to be Zinc deficiency... an MD might have diagnosed the ailment and given me pain pills... when I begin to feel it I can eat green leafies or pop Zinc pills

eat well, hydrate and stretch. not to much else you can do. usually I feel good at work cause I'm moving, it's when I stop moving that I start to get pains or arms fall asleep.

Not any help, but it sure might be worth a Dr's visit, Jay. Years ago I went to bed after a hard day. I woke up around 1am with terrible chest pains and pain down my right arm. A trip to the ER and a night of cardio testing found nothing! I followed up with my normal Dr., and it was when I told him I dropped to my knees in pain opening the fridge to grab a Coke, then the light bulb went off! He'd done the same thing a few weeks earlier! I had pulled my right breast muscle dragging brush that day!
It might be vitamin defecency, something pulled, etc., you just never know!

Definetly sounds like tendonitus issues, the zinc is news to me, Ima try that too!

Yeah, good info on the zinc, and I think I will rethink not having any salad with my dinner tonight. You are right, Andy, when using the search engines I discovered that arm pain can definitely be a sign of a heart ailment. In my case, I have certainly noticed a direct correlation to certain physical activities and the discomfort. Unavoidable things I have to do when working, be it tree work or woodworking. I have some ice on it now, thought I would try it. Heat doesn't much seem to help but for a brief respite.

Meh ... you guys are just ... old ... :D

8)

I'll have to check out the zinc thing ... :/:

Zinc definitely is needed for cellular repairs in the body.
Leafy greens gives you some, but have some orange or orange juice with that spinach and more of it becomes bio-available.
Just do not overdo it.
If you get too much zinc, it could result in a condition called zinc toxicity.
The recommended daily zinc intake for adults is between 9 and 11 mg.
According to the National Institutes of Health, zinc toxicity starts at between 35 and 40 mg daily.

When my right shoulder tendonitis flares up I can't sleep well.
I have to lift my right arm with my left to even get the key into the ignition of the truck :(

I bought a wrap for "tennis elbow" but use it around the lower portion of my bicept. It's not where it is supposed to be but it helps while working. In my mind it is preventing further irritation/damage.

I'm going to check into the Zinc also to see if that might help. Simple movements like brushing my teeth can sometimes cause a twing of bicept pain.

Massage is supposed to be good on tendonitis, it says that at web health sites. I got my wife on a kneading program. I'm thinking that it's helping, but just started it. The part that also says to immediately stop all activity that caused the problem, that is harder to come up with a solution. I don't see those sites linked with travel agencies, but maybe I could go to Tahiti for a few weeks? Coming back and the problem starting up again could make the trip seem pointless.

Changing the way I did something that was ailing me has always worked for me, but as I grow older that is becoming harder to do than before...

I learned about Dr. Cyriax and cross friction massage in the 70's when I was having a lot of triceps tendonitis trouble. Deep cross friction massage can break down adhesions that have formed through improper healing of an injury. We often have a small trauma that is not healed/rehabilitated properly and the scar tissue does not form properly...it should heal (with proper stress applied to it as it heals) without any gnarly adhesions. But since we often don't rest the injury properly when it first happens we get a gnarly scar tissue that tears again when used. Constant micro-tears leads to chronic inflammation and can drive one nuts.

Cross friction massage can break up the adhesions so they have a chance to heal properly. Here are some links to Cyriax.

http://www.ombregt.be/engels/friction.htm

http://www.om-cyriax.com/info.asp?language=en&pagina=Friction massage

Dang Jay, We demand so much from ourselves.

Tendonitis, rest is huge. but we can't rest.
after rest reduce the swelling. Hot and cold alternates 60 seconds on/off.
Start with hot end with cold for 6 times. 2/day. Morning then night. that's gonna get the nasties out....

Then after swelling goes down, firm and support with muscle. work opposing muscle groups to support weaker groups.

Just stuff I've read...since they said it was in my thumb.

Pain in /around the biceps can be referred pain from rotator cuff / shoulder problems.
I tore my rotator cuff playing hockey and the worst pain was halfway down the outside of my arm between shoulder and elbow.
Biceps tendonitis can refer also.

I second the massage, and the opposing muscle group exercises...FIRST is to get the inflammation under control, whatever it takes, ice, pills, rest, whatever you are happy with, then the remediation of the problem.

Good luck!

... way too much typing for phone, so I will shorten it some ... The chiropractor spent a bit of time asking me the background. Zinc defiency was diagnosed w / Kinesiology (whole othe topic)... Seems my embrace of hard physical labor well into my thirties caused my muscles to bulk up some while my Tendons were still trying to hold the old muscles in the old place. Medical definition Tendonitis, massage hmmm.... she did did some really deep tissue work ... forget the sore muscles, went right to the connect points of the Tendons. Released so much pain that I was was seeing red and yellow behind closed eyes... walked out later able to shift a car and pull start a Husky

AKA deep tissue, cross friction massage. They work on the site of the lesion...sometimes the tendon body, sometimes the musculotendinous junction, sometimes the attachment point to the bone. For tennis elbow they often work at the tendon attachment point to the lateral epicondyle...where the bone attaches to the tendon.

TENS unit has worked wonders for me with my arm pain. I recently started taking magnesium supplements as well for my ongoing foot problems. My chiropractor recommended that. Supposedly it helps relax muscles in spasm. I noticed a difference almost over night..... My hands and forearms felt great and I didn't even notice a problem with those to begin with.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Back