Hunting 2013

You mean the kind where by the time you get to your prey, the vultures have already eaten it?

LOL. Yeah. It's awsome .

No, no Stig. The vultures leave this area before hunting season. Too cold. More likely coyotes and magpies.

Or bears and wolves over west.:P

Montana, is awsome country side. There are two places i would live if i didn't have kids or i was married, Montana, and deep woods alaska.

Long range shooting is in depth. But, in the end it always comes back to the basics. Breathing, trigger sqeez , sight picture, and comfy position.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Tucker. Have you ever hear of a 300 blackout round? If so, what do you think of them? I've been looking at the uppers for my m4. The only thing different you need to buy for ar platform is the barrel but i'm going to just get a whole new upper, just for the ease of changing back and forth in 3seconds. I've hear there a popular round for hogs.

I have, and Ive checked the ballistics on them. They are a fad caliber. You get the ballistic advantages of a .30 cal bullet but the performance is mediocre. Id sooner buy a .308. BUT, its mild, fun to shoot from what I hear, and again, has the ballistic advantages of a .30 cal round. What weight bullet performs well in that caliber I don't know. That determines a lot with me.

If you want something relatively mild as an upper, and a ballistic performer, maybe see about a .260 upper. Its a super star. Not a monster, but for what it is, its a real performer.

Give me the good ole .221 fireball. Necked up to .30 does not interest me.

My friend the gunsmith built me an ar-15 with a 22 inch barrel for letting him hunt some of my land exclusively. What caliber? .221 fireball!

He said he has a stock for me but asked if he could use the barrel for another customer that had been waiting longer than me for my 25-06 improved. Dan Lilja is four months out!

I want a .26 nosler. I think it would be a good addition to all my other 6.5 mm rounds. You could get across a coulee with that!

I shouldn't be so critical of the 26 Nosler. I just kind of feel like its a show off rig. The .264 win mag, 6.5 saum, and the 6.5 rem mag are already spitting 6.5 bullets over 3200 fps. Much more then that is just burning powder for effect. I guess if I was wealthy I'd want one though. Being on the more frugal side in life, I get critical of rounds that are just for showing off. I guess because I cant afford to own and barrel them regularly.

One of my pet loads is 74 grains of US 869 behind a 142 grain MK. Not the fastest, but quite accurate through my .264 Sendero. The .26 Nosler is only 100 fps faster for ten more grains of powder. The most modern powder people have tried in .264 is IMR 4350. I am pleased to see people trying slow stuff like R-33 and R-25, US 869 and such in the .26 Nosler. People might get interested in the more "efficient":lol: .264 and try some of the new powders. I might buy one to keep 6.5's going!

You could not be more right on in your assessment of the .26 Nolser. It and a bunch of others are for showing off. At 1600 for the cheapest rifle, I wont be getting one! I could buy maybe three CZ 527's in various callibers for that money. I should have a .222 some day.

I know nothing about what you're all taking about, but I did some tree work for the Nosler family this summer. Incredibly nice folks.

So you can spend it on a gun? I circumvent the taxes and money handling when it comes to guns.

Haha, yes money, but I was kinda bummed since my bro picked up a few new guns soon thereafter... I love trading work for goods/services, it's like getting paid cash.

Occasionally people will offer their services to me in return for some tree work, I always refuse because quite simply I charge a lot more than them. (Unless they're heart surgeons or something, but it's an unlikely scenario!)

I've worked in exchange for other trade services. Not many times, but a couple. My mechanic is good to me financially because I've been good to him financially. I have trucks that break, and he has trees that do the same.

I had a part of my house revired in exchange for treework.
With the extreme amount of taxes we pay, barter is good.

Thanks for the replay Tucker. I love me some Varmint Grenades though . Barnes make's them. shot a gator in my back yard not to long ago with the 'ol colt m4, loaded magpul "40rd" varm grenade instant carnage. :lol: nasty wound. The wound looked like a .30 cal hit it. lol..Hornady is my favorite though in 9 or anything else.

20140917_203610.jpg M4 40rd magpul. With my grip I did with soldering iron hope you can see it, doing all this from my phone. :)

Mbus Magpul backup flipup. Thanks Firefighter. I got that mag for 20 bucks bought the last one on shelf. Wish they had 20 more. But I have alot of mags I aquired from my infantry days. And I mean a good amount. Lol

Back