Hunting 2013

Deer doesn't open till may 16. here.
That is the one day, we make sure to stay out of the woods.
Last year we went planting around noon, and had a massive argument with a deer hunter who claimed whe'd ruined his day.

This year we have a yard job lined up for the 16th.:lol:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
A great portion of logging contracts here in Pennsylvania require the loggers to stop working the first week of deer season. Its often one of the first things the landowner stipulates. Sometimes they'll let you haul off the landing, but not often.

Got my spring gobbler. Opted to make it a little more challenging this year and use my grouse gun. 20 gauge Ithaca SKB 280. Modified/Improved Cylinder. Had to get him in pretty close to make a clean kill.

Here in North Dakota our deer licenses are issued by a lottery drawing. Applicants must submit their applications, along with 20 dollars, by the 6th of June. The drawing takes place in September, I believe. Deer season opens in early November and ends by Thanksgiving. Each applicant is allowed to apply for only ONE deer license. Additional licenses are issued in areas where there are more deer licenses than applicants.

This year, due to our previous extreme winters, deer hunting permits will be reduced to near record low numbers. The chance of being drawn for a deer license is extremely low in northeastern North Dakota, where winter kill took a terrible toll on our deer population. The State Game and Fish Department says it may be three years before the deer license numbers begin to increase significantly......provided we don't have any further decline in population due to extreme winter kills between now and then.

I'll be sending in my application for the deer gun season sometime next week.......but I don't expect to be issued a license. Chances are good that I'll get a refund.

Joel

Is wild turkey the same taste as the ones that they sell in the market? They should introduce them into Asia. Cool if they would kill monkeys.

No. It can be a little tougher and less moist. All dark meat. I enjoy it, some don't.

I hear the brain is tasty, like in that scene in Indy Jones. Way back in my memory I seem to recall someone saying that the meat is good too, but somewhere someone thinks that anything is good. It generally isn't eaten, even if someone pays no attention to the law and shoots one. Laws become slightly less motivating to farmers getting their rice fields frequently raided. I think I'd at least try it if I had the chance, but I'd have to make some effort to get over eating some animal so obnoxious.

No dice. Couldn't call the damn things in close enough. So much for late season Turkeys. Next year we'll go in the early spring when they're still stupid... :lol:

Gary

When John and V leave the dock, I picture all the fishies spreading the word quick to remain in their caves. It must be what happened the last time during the tournament. :) Still, good luck!

Pretty much.my hunting ardour dissipates with break up. Then unless I'm working in thick bear country the rifles stay home. But when the leaves start turning, which they have just begun to my rifles have a strong draw. I was just looking at my 9.3×64 and liking the look of it again.
We had a terrible breakup this year and lots of caribou cows and calves died trying to cross the criks and rivers they normally do. So our subsistence caribou is being knocked back to bulls only. Which is fine with me. . I would really like to kill some bears this fall. It would be great to have the time to take my wife out and get a couple grizzlies and a few black bear. . Calf eaters. I got a beautiful caribou bull last fall would be nice to get a good moose this fall. And sneak in a trip to Sitka or Hoonah for a deer shoot also.

Speaking of which namely hunting my sister found some of my hunting licences from 1962 to 1964.Geeze at 14 I was a little chit 5'7" and 128 pounds .By 16 I was 6 feet and 165

Back