toss wand

I bought one a couple of years ago, but I rarely use it, cause a lack of finesse = breaking and replacing snares.
Also find that inserting the wand can snag the core a lot easier than a wire fid. (when you don't want it to do that)
Both issues (breakage and snagging) are due to my inexperience and incompetence, and not the fault of the wand.

A lot of new splicers get fired up about splicing and wanna buy all the best of the best tools. And the Toss Wand is just that. The best of the best. But as has already been reported here, there is a level of finesse needed. I fear there are many toss wands, bent and with broken snares, laying unused.

That said- the Wand is WAY better than wire. I have spliced thousands of splices with my wand and I replace the snare MAYBE once every other year. Once you get the hang of it, it's a near perfect tool.

So if like many new splicers- you're gonna do one or two splices then realize it's hard and you're better off paying someone else to do it, then DON'T get it. You won't get your money's worth out of it. But if you know that you will keep splicing, you will not be bummed that you spent the money on it.

I've had the same wand since 2001 and I wouldn't trade it for the world.

love
nick

Hey Gumby, I've got the small and extra small wands, I paid the extra $6.00/per for the wire snares. I've been using them for 4+ years, and have never broken a snare. They do make 16-strand a bit simpler, but an ABR wire snare does just as good. Especially when you're passing the core strands, don't waste the money if you don't use them on a daily basis. TMO
Best of Luck!

I bought one a couple of years ago, but I rarely use it, cause a lack of finesse = breaking and replacing snares.
Also find that inserting the wand can snag the core a lot easier than a wire fid. (when you don't want it to do that)
Both issues (breakage and snagging) are due to my inexperience and incompetence, and not the fault of the wand.

Is it for sale then??

I use piano wire, works great on the 16 strands. A roll, well, rats nest was given to me by a piano tuner, he didn't want it.

It could certainly be for sale!
Along with scads of other arborist stuff I couldn't resist buying. (damn lack of impulse control) like for example the monstrous Buckingham porty, that has never been used. Bought a used Hobbs shortly after getting it, so the Porty is a neglected orphan.

image.jpg I dunno how many of them portys-on-steroids Buckingham has sold. It is a heavy brute.

Last edited:
Nick, do you just have the one wand? I have a confession, I shamelessly copied your wand and modified it with a bike release and braided snare and love it!! Only use if for certain part of the splice for certain ropes as well. Wouldn't get it out the bag for friction cord! Would it be worth buying the smaller wand or not? I think I have the regular size one. I got it with a complete splicing kit that someone was selling for £60 so can't complain!

Back