New Tribe Traveling ONYX

Hey Nick, any idea where I am in the line?? I am ready to pull the trigger on a new harness here in the very near future...

Great review, Nick! Question: Are the 'D's steel or aluminum? I watched it twice and might have missed it but black 'D's usually indicates an aluminum alloy. Just wondering ...
Good job ... love the out-takes! ;)

BTW ... ya think I can get on the list? :)

Another great video, Nick!
What are you recording with?
If you're using an external mic let me know what type and size and I'll send you a foam wind screen for it for those occasional breezy gusts of wind.
Heading to Germany and Peru, but hitting the post office this morning with the newest "Nou Bars" for you to sample.
Add my name to the list for the small/medium s'il vous plait, merci...

Good review, but you're wearing the wrong tee shirt. I like that side dee thing, cool! A snap on the side for a hand saw would be nice.

I don't like it, but I could live with it. So, I need another biner on the other side, for my handsaw? That's where I wish a flat snap would be.

I never used to use those snaps for anything. I actually used to cut them off. Now, with my Nikosi, that's all I use for hanging my chainsaw. My handsaw goes on my leg.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Ha! I just finished the last 5 minutes...those were some of the best. The slow pan over the harness was very useful. I already use a PAW on my harnesses so seeing what they have already built in is cool.

The out takes were good...I like the sign language part fo sho.

Really really interested in this saddle ... I too need another saddle in the very near future.... Swinging toward this or the Austria 3.. I would like to be on the list. PLEASE. Small Medium...
Great review Nick as always... You rock man!

Nick...if you have not sent it to me yet then send it to Stephen first...he is near you and it sounds like he has a more immediate need than me.

Comprende?

That'll work. I already have a new APTA to experiment with so I am set for toys right now. Let Stephen play with the Onyx.

I got the L/XL saddle in the mail today.....how fun! My first impressions are that it seems like a well built and well thought out saddle. However, there is something about it that just doesn't make me think New Tribe. I don't now how to explain it but it reminds me a lot of the TreeFlex. That is by no means a slam on it, or a complement for that matter. I am really looking forward to trying it out. Unfortunately I am starting a 3 day planting job tomorrow so I will have to wait until next week Tuesday to give it a go. I will make sure to try it out and send it on ASAP.

Nick A.... what is the deal with the second rope bridge? Why is it a different rope than the Bandit that came on it? Is it just something different? Also, do you know what is in that plastic bag? It had some metal pieces and some small webbing.

Lastly, I didnt try out the Nikosi that went around (because I owned one already) so I dont know what to put in the note book. Anyone have any suggestions? Is it just for reviews or should we add something else?

Second rope bridge is just another piece of rope. That's all. They were trying to decide which would be better to sell it with. I'm torn between the two and think it mostly doesn't matter.

Those little buckles in the bag can be used to add another webbing loop onto the back. There is one super long gear loop that runs across the back. It's like the long one shown at the 4:00 mark on the video...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/DKeBZKhlFI4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

You could use the included webbing and the included buckles to add more loops anywhere in the back. I think the harness has plenty of gear loops on the back as it is, so I didn't need to add any more.

Notebook: New Tribe loved having a hard copy of our collective thoughts about the Nikosi harness and their work. So be honest, share some of the same things you share here with us, draw a picture of a tree. Tell them what you liked and didn't like. Find a sticker that says "good job A+" from one of your kids homework and put it in the book! :)

I don't think there is anyone else waiting for the L/XL right now- so take your time.

We need the bigger folks to pipe up!

love
nick

The S/M (sado masochist?) came to my house today...surprise!!! I thought Stephen was going to get it first.

I have only gotten to look at it for about two minutes so far...first thing that caught my eye was the waist buckle..I like how smoothly it works...should make doffing and donning easier. Same for the leg straps...nice buckles. I already have a Ness (New Tribe Pro) and get great service from it. This Onyx looks like it will be easier to get on and off due to the buckles.

I have a cat rescue to do in the AM but don't think I'll have time to rig a lanyard for the Onyx before the rescue...we'll see.

Thanks, Nick, for the test harness...I'll work it out soon.

I did get to use the Onyx...I cobbled together a 22 foot lanyard...kind of short, I know. ;)

The Onyx was part of a cat rescue the day after I received the harness. Chloe, a young all white cat, had been in the tree for 3 days and the owner was getting frantic. She called Tuesday afternoon to ask what I charged...I explained how I charge by the mile for round trip plus the rescue...before I could give her a price she said her husband had talked to a guy a few days before that did rescues and how he liked to climb down from above the cat. She said that guy charged too much.

I just laughed....that guy was me! So I then explained how I try to climb a nearby tree and descend from above so the cat does not climb even higher. The cat will usually climb down as I get close and I don't have to touch it. The cat owner finally decided it wasn't too much and asked me to do the rescue.

I shot some video of setting up, testing my TIP and climbing out of sight. I also did some layouts and upside down descents...the saddle stayed very secure, no slipping and plenty comfortable.

It's not an in-depth review of the Onyx but some evaluation is there. The harness IS comfortable, easy to adjust and seems very well made...which I expect because it is from New Tribe.

I will do some more focused climbing soon and try to get some more evaluations to share. The video is not real exciting, it is just what it is, an uneventful cat rescue

Chloe did well...she went out about 15 feet on a pine limb when I got to her perch at about 45 feet. I punctured a can of tuna and slung juice in her direction. She followed the tuna juice drops to me where I had my trash can ready. When she looked down into the can I got her by the scruff of the neck and in she went. I need a GoPro, it would have been a good video...oh, well. More later.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Q7XL6Pp4EH4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back