New Tribe Traveling ONYX

Sorta... Out Of Town.
Heading to near grass valley.
My favourite uncle passed away. So they are making it a kind of family reunion.
Navy WW2 vet. Old salt could make you laugh and sing. Smile. Taught me to sail. Sooo much of my childhood revolved around him and his son, my cousin Bob. His wife is the eldest sister of my mom's family and my favourite aunt.
Taking Kat and the kids up there to celebrate his life.
Man never let life get him down. Always a smile no matter and could kid you to laugh with the best of them.

Made a vid showing how to swap out the bridge to make a rope bridge...

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/0JmoQ8-EVNw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Also- Casey is working on some velcro-in leg pad add-ons that a person could put on the Onyx.

I did many takes of that vid. It was hard to show it clearly when everything is all black. Darn that Onyx design!

I think you can see what needs to be done, though.

If I redid the video, I might use blue masking tape to mark certain areas. Then you could identify things more clearly- mark 1, mark 2, etc...

The Onyx has arrived! :D
I immediately put it on and started adjusting leg straps. It goes to work tomorrow and the next. Mistletoe job should give it a good work out.
Darin (Old Monkey) is also going to be here on the 30th. Maybe he would like to try it as well.
Katy's eyes got big so I am betting she will also be wanting a ride :D
So far, the only con I have is how the leg straps are adjusted up...from underneath. 3 places where you have to undo two legs and work them all back through... Once dialled in is not an issue so long as no one else uses the saddle.
I like the light weight and I can hardly feel it on. I like the webbing bridge. I think the larger ring would be nicer for the link though. I may have to try that with one I have.

I'm surprised y'all so far seem to be preferring the webbing bridge. For me the rope bridge was a massive improvement. I guess that's a great thing about this harness- so many options to fine tune it JUST the way you want it.

I'll try it both ways Nick. I have always leaned toward the webbing though. I like the ease of just changing out the rope bridge though with something I have around rather having to order it.

Stephen, be aware that I did not loctite those shackles that hold the bridge on so make sure to keep an eye on the bolts as you use it.

Did I read somewhere about Velcro inserts for additional padding for the legs?

I really want to hear how the stock leg pads feel and vs. the add on pads.

Ohhhhhhhhhh K.. first climb (mistletoe removal live oak) on a working situation.
I seem to have run into what PC Tree did.. No ass at all. I need suspenders. PERIOD. I had plumbers crack when I came down for lunch. Saw kept pulling it down down down pushing my pants down down down.... Well.....
Other wise, with no extra weight on it... it was very nice. Add a ditty bag and saw... Not on this frame with out suspenders.
I feel your frustration Paul.
This thing felt like it wanted to work and climb right out of the box. You hardly even know the leg pads are there. Little more padding in the back would be nice.
Still trying to get used to where to hang my saw. But I don't want my saw on it with out the suspenders. A heavy saw on a large spar could be hell in this thing, for me anyway.
I came down for lunch, switched back to my Cougar and finished the day happy.
This live oak had some great canopy to play in and the Onyx did great. I think the rope bridge would be more responsive and I have yet to try it. I also think a slightly larger ring on the webbing bridge would be more nice as well. I will be trying it both ways.
I am going to try and rig my suspenders I have to the saddle so I can get a feel for it with weight on it and not lose my pants.
The Ds did not bother me like they did Paul. They were ok. Adjusting them a tad more forward might be my preference. Dunno. Might try that as well.
Tomorrow I go back on the same tree and one other. See how I can change it up a bit to make it work better.
Then I will take it out back and just rec climb in it. I know it will shine in that.
Wish I had a removal this week. I would really like to see how it handles a spar.

Stephen, Interested in Throwing it out to the City for a Spin?

I'm pretty close. :)

With my current ProGear, The waist belt slips a bit slowly.... I just gotta tighten it up every once and a bit.

The belt could be better, for sure - and suspenders are a must unless you have a bubble butt.

I really like how the side dees are forced to the front - sweet! And the buckles are top notch!

Love the buckles. Once it is dialed in, it's like a second skin, until it does the ol butt slide. :lol:

Deva, I think you and Jaime are arm wrestling for it :D
Too bad the Old Monkey is not here till the 30th :/:

Back