Any grouse/woodcock hunters here?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ran Molly on spring migrating woodcock this morning. We moved around 19 of them in a bit over an hour.
2013-03-22_11-15-37_542_zpsc396583c.jpg

We have them migrating here, right now as well.
I usually scare one ot wo up going up my driveway in the morning.

Interesting birds, but less so than their close cousin, the guttersnipe.

So thats what they are called, Woodcocks.

I have two hanging out under some fallen trees the arborist hasn't cleaned up yet along my border. didn't know what the hell they were

They may be nesting there.

Today we worked on migrating woodcock again. Molly on left, look closely on right on top of snow in front of the ditch. This is a tough moment to capture but I am thrilled to have gotten it.
2013-03-23_13-09-49_839_zpsb9848949.jpg

Good picture.
If it hadn't been for the snow, it would have been near invisible. Except for some grouse, I don't know any birds that blend into their surroundings so well.

Guttersnipe is smaller bird than the woodcock? Im asking because we dont have much around here I have shot a couple but the one I shot last year looked smaller and a little different than the other ones I shot

Jeez, what did I start here.

I made a linguistic birdwatcher joke, is all.

Look at the link I posted.

I hunt dove, quail , ducks and geese. Never seen woodcock. Dad said when he was in high school they had more woodcock around. Same with snipe, they are fun when you can find them

Did some one mention Grouse Hunting???

This past September & good friend & I went up north bird hunting outside of Wawa Ontario for Ruffed Grouse.

Spent a week at rented cabin & drove a lot of roads not to mention long walks where vehicles could not go.

Shot lots of birds with a Flintlock Blunderbus I recently built. What can I say...that things quite the BLAST to shoot. lol

Besides, who dosn't like "Bush Chicken" !!!

Attachments

• IMG_0189.jpg
    IMG_0189.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 24
I'm no longer building the bags Butch, I sent the patterns to WesSpur Tree Equipment in Washington State. They now make & sell both the HC & HC-Mesh Rope Bages including a longer version of the Mesh Bage that holds 300' of 1/2" line.

...But in keeping with this Thread, that new Mesh Bag should hold about 20 to 25 Ruffed Grouse! :lol: LOL

Were they dumb up where you hunted? As in could you walk up and shoot them on the ground?

It was the second week of Bird Season when we were there so it wasn't to bad. But there was a lot of hunting pressure on the weekends from the locals.

Average distance before they flushed was around 15-20 yards. Hunting at the crack of dawn and at dusk proved to be rewarding if road hunting with vehicle otherwise on foot is the best.

Back