Helmet comms

Dave the link you have isnt a good option because they don't have the "Universal Mike".

Justin I will ship to Canada, dont know how much shipping is or if you would be hammered with import taxes. I sell the SMH10D-11 Pair for $280. I am curious about the R's that Dave has because the regular 10s like I have have a big button on the back which is prone to being pushed by limbs whilst climbing which changes channels, kinda annoying. Other than that nit-pic they are awesome.

Ok I'm going to research these up a bit. May just hit you up Paul as I'm gonna assume at this point that ill be ordering from somewhere down there. I'll see if anyone local stocks these though and at what price. Thanks for the info.

B it is an SMH10R. The battery is remote so I would imagine could be mounted to counter weight the unit. DMC needs to weigh in here as he has them, I want to try some but havent found a good source for them yet.....

Paul is right. The SMH10R has a separate remote battery. I can't say how they compare to the ones that Paul sells as I have not used those, but I do like mine. The main unit is real small and is mounted on the back of the helmet. The battery is mounted on the front of the brow band ( it is also quite small ) inside the helmet.

The Sena products have just amazing clarity and range for a very reasonable price.

David

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Does a batt inside the helmet diminish the protective ability of the helmet?

I wondered the same thing. I have had folks say that a bandage kept inside the helmet diminishes the protective capacity of the helmet...a battery would do so even more.

I vouch for them too. We haven't got four on yet, but two is great. Once you start using them you see how much less productive you were if you don't have them. You will see huge differences.

10 hr talk time.

Does a batt inside the helmet diminish the protective ability of the helmet?

No. The battery as I have it mounted on the Kask is on the outside of the head band in a space below the crushable foam and above the lower rim. It will not interfere with the impact absorbing system of the foam and is still protected by the lower rim of the hard shell. It is small and flat and protrudes no more than the adjusting knob for the head band. If all that does not satisfy you, it can always be mounted on the outside of the helmet.

David

We have worked in the rain with them, no problemo. They are intended to be mounted on the outside of a motorcycle helmet where they will be exposed to 65mph rain.....

I have to say, Adrian told me to call Paul and order the sena headsets. Me and a buddy set them up in some petzl vertex vent helmets with the muffs.
All is hidden, crystal clear, batteries last and it's all great. Awesome idea Paul , and it's a quality set for any type of work. We do mostly crane work and for blind crane work it makes me wonder why I used to even fool with walkies.

The r model looks pretty slick! I Need to outfit one more helmet, so I'll will check that out. I assume they would connect with my current setup?

A good way to bring the crane op into the conversation is through your phone. You can even bring one intercom on with a phone call. Then you don't have to give a set to the crane op. Just have them bring a headset for they're phone. Though, the noise cancelation of these is superior if the crane op is in a high noise environment.

I'm telling ya I can't stop thinking about these. Anymore weighing in on what model is best? I would definitely want to be able to remove the mike and I'm kind of worried about having a button exposed that will change channels or otherwise. If people wouldn't mind posting what model they're using and any issues they've had? Or is everyone running the same model like Paul sells except for Dave?

Thanks

Man, this reminds me of when I worked offshore and we wore communication devices. I grew sick of listening to all the jibber jabber between the crew, but we weren't allowed to turn them off - I hated that. I've only had a need to communicate with the outof sight crane operator a few times, and then we just used another man to relay the signals or we used a cellphone.

Do not want.

They rock! I am using Paul's. the only thing that pissed me off was my groundie listening to music when he should have been paying attention.
The button is not that big of a deal. Once in a while in a tight canopy I hit it and it will change what's currently being listened to, but honestly, rarely. The mike is removable if you like. Actually the adhesive that holds it sucks. I re-did it with heavy Velcro now it is fine.
You can choose who what and when you listen to anything based on how you set it up.
I like the look of Dave's, but with how much I sweat and ow the adhesive failed I would hate to be fighting a battery too.

I disagree Butch. Having the ability to talk to everyone in a high noise environment is great. Yes you have to listen to the bs some. But the key moments are what make this system valuable.

Back