Helmet comms

I switched to cardo packtalks years ago. Once you have paired them they just always work, all you have to do is turn them on. They never bump anyone off and even if someone goes out of range once they come back they just connect . Cory you can put them on any helmet and in any muffs.

I used this for in the crane and they clamp over the ears way harder than any helmet muffs so are quieter. Since I ran saws for 25 years without ear protection Im going deaf so these really help out

Cardos are definately more costly than senas but I couldnt put up with the aggravation of connectivity issues. Mine have lasted many years so IMO are money well spent

I haven't really seen the need for comms in my day-to-day tree work. My groundie/climber has been working with me for 20+ years. We each know what the other is doing and don't need to communicate much to get the jobs done safely and efficiently. I still have a set of hands-free walkie talkies with earpieces that I purchased from Radio Shack around 1980 or so. They've been sitting on a shelf in the shop for at least 20 years.

I find it handy when Rob is chipping. We turn them off a lot inbetween tasks. But when I need him, click in and he's on it. Don't have to wait to get his attention.

I switched to cardo packtalks years ago. Once you have paired them they just always work, all you have to do is turn them on. They never bump anyone off and even if someone goes out of range once they come back they just connect . Cory you can put them on any helmet and in any muffs.

I used this for in the crane and they clamp over the ears way harder than any helmet muffs so are quieter. Since I ran saws for 25 years without ear protection Im going deaf so these really help out

Cardos are definately more costly than senas but I couldnt put up with the aggravation of connectivity issues. Mine have lasted many years so IMO are money well spent

i wonder what im doing wrong, i bought a set of cardos to use with my partner, always worked fine. i then recomended them to other coworkers but we were not able to pare them with the new sets, i even downloaded the app..

"Pull trees" are best with solid communication.

$1500 headsets (pre-Sena popularity) were "too expensive" for State Parks. Once we were pulling a 150'+ rotten, spindly, significantly backleaning hemlock away from a 1930s Civilian Conservation Corps Kitchen Shelter, it started to barberchair...i couldn't tell my boss to stop pulling. I was not going to run in to cut more. It fell ok.

We also got to pull a big rotten maple away from a $2M "bioreactor" septic treatment system, and heavy backleaning, spindly, rotten 34-36" doug fir away from a $1M bathroom, oh, and there was the time the I almost killed a jogger in a closed campground loop beating over a back leaner in 6' tall brush, but $1500 was too much to spend. And after 20 years service, my supervisor almost had his leg crushed or worse by the hella powerful winch line hidden in brush.

All in 28 months.

I don't miss that job's "excitement" or working for the government.

I like "boring" treework!!

Coms are such money well spent.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Cross cut/stone axe might me a bit advanced for me. Proof being I know nothing about Bluetooth other than I've never used it.

@PCTREE , thanks for the link.

So for the Cardo Packtalk headphones, I'd either install them under the hardhat suspension, or remove the headband and install them in place of the current Peltor muffs, correct?

So for 3 guys and one crane op I'd need 4 sets. What if the crane op doesn't want to wear muffs, do they make a muffless headset?

How do you charge them?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
If this whole tree thing doesn't work out you could always take it on the road, open mic night

Cory, for a hard hat you simply put the speakers in your helmets muffs not use the crane ops muffs. I cant imagine a crane op not wanting to wear muffs due to the huge improvement in safety due to easy comunication

Back