Helmet comms

I have fantasized about being able to talk to ground support, equipment operators etc. for over 30 years...

You are going to love the quality of Sena. I will not work without having these incredible, hands free and wireless communication systems.

Does anyone know if you can charge the Sena smh10 from a 24v lighter socket? Plugged one of mine into the lorry without thinking about it and it seems to be dead now.

Merle...keep us posted on how they do. I sure have thought about having such a system.

And I need to get another helmet soon...and comms would help keep a helmet on some groundie's heads.

Thanks everyone. I had intended to post use results too. If anyone has the straight forward tricks for posting pictures from an Apple computer I would appreciate it. Will try again.

One of the reasons I was excited the ‘Comm. Helmets’ arrived that day from Paul was because I had a simple trunk bucking job to do the next day. I figured I could try them out with saw noise present, learn the controls, and no stress of a ‘real’ job to do.

The Church and the School House in the background were featured in Alfred Hitchcocks, The Birds. Not sure if the Pine tree was in frame as a sapling but when I was asked to take it down it had a heavy lean toward Church parking in the field and a big wound in the first few feet of the tree where a spar must have ripped off and out 10 to 20 years ago.

DSCF5310.jpg

The congrigation or local farmers were thought to be going to cut it up for wood so they didn't have me put that work in the contract. A month latter I'm back....

Merle, they are awesome. Sena has it dialed in. If you stream music at some point you will find your phone battery dying quickly. Use the quick start to get started and then you will understand better all the other functions. There are a lot.
My suggestion is to set some ground rules with your helpers about music from the get go. It took me two weeks to get my groundie not to listen to anything but me until we were cleaning up.
Have fun.

Sena does give awesome quality voice thats for sure and I will use the quick start Husabud. Had a few hiccups at first (probably because I had not cracked the manual) but my wife got us going and past that. My initial impression was - “Hey these things aren’t loud enough to hear over the saw runnin.” But then I reached back and turned the volume up a bit. (Joke) Ahh! That’s nice.

We talked in a normal volume over the saw running and checked back and forth a few times to see how well the other person was hearing. This reminded me of a doctor talking across an operating table.

I went into this purchase thinking I was buying a way to communicate clearly on rare occasions when I really needed to. What popped into my mind as I was standing there easily getting my point accross while running a saw was, why wouldn't I use these all the time? Just in a couple of posts today did I pick up on that some of you are using them a lot or all the time. They have a wire or two and I'm sure you can't throw them around as much as hard hats and simple helmets....I'm going to use them a bunch, and if I get past the idea of Bluetooth being a possible problem for EMF I will probably figure them as an item that breaks every so often and just use them all the time.

Thanks to you and your wife Paul, one of the things that had me always set this idea aside was the sky high prices I saw attached to comm. units, this was doable. You are putting a lot into it and taking time away from your paying work to do this. As I'm able to talk easily on a job and get what I need, I'll be thinking you're the man who made it happen.

I told my wife I wanted to get a picture of her for this post, she poses, I'm smurking, she says, what? I said if you're going to try for the hardcore logger pose you can't hold the saw like it's goint to get you! She relaxed a bit.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    84.1 KB · Views: 118
  • DSCF5315.jpg
    DSCF5315.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 119
... My initial impression was - “Hey these things aren’t loud enough to hear over the saw runnin.” But then I reached back and turned the volume up a bit. (Joke) Ahh! That’s nice...

Just a tip on hearing and talking over chippers and saws. The mikes are super directional, so when things are noisy make sure the opening is pointed directly at your mouth and almost touching your lips. You are right in thinking that some of us use these on all jobs. I work with my wife and the ability too instantly communicate gives a level of safety that is just not possible in any other way. Coms like these are a real break-through in quality vs. cost and I don't expect it will be long before they are as common as hard hats on the job.

Dave

She looks like a relaxed pro with that big honkin' saw. Good initial report on the comms...thanks.

And good background on the church...brings character to the picture.

Just wanted to put in the good word about this headsets. We have been running them for the last week and a half with a four man crew and it is simply awesome. The communication is crystal clear. You can talk next to someone at the chipper and have a conversation. Once the headsets are first initially synced with each other, all you have to do every day is just turn them on and everyone is ready to go. I would consider them a must have now, and like Paul has said before, we wouldn't work without them now.

As nessessary as a chainsaw. They rock.

Last all day then some. If you dont have them, you should. Safer job site, and time savings are incredible. Talking shit is fun too.

Stephen, for $280 per pair there is no better investment IMO. As B says just to shoot the shit it is worth it but the safety factor is priceless........

As long as you have helmets with ear muffs you should be GTG. I feel like the Kasks really lend themselves to the application but I have never mounted them to anything else.

Cool. Even Rob (who won't wear ear muffs or helmet) is starting to want that system since I told him about it. Communication is huge at the job site

Becoming quite interested in this myself. Do you have a link Paul? You're retailing them? Would you ship to Canada? If its to much of a PITA no worries but maybe steer me in the right direction.

Back