Helmet comms

I run pauls. Smh-10. Like said, occasionally the button will get pressed, but each guy knows who did it so they can give it a quick tap. Like said, i cannot, and will not work without them again.

Yah I can see how they would be a huge time saver and improve safety. I hate hollering over machinery. Our plans are fluid and somedays may change often and the stopping to communicate those changes can eat some time espescially if you have to shit down a chipper or something to talk. The safety improvement would seem rather obvious.

Thanks for the quick replies. Butch you wouldn't want to work with me. I have a wicked sense of humor and when I get these plan on hamming it up all the time! Lol.

Squish, for the money it is a total no brainer IMO. Compared to all the money we spend on other stuff $280 is a pitance for the improvment to the worksite. I cannt comment on the Rs as I have not used them but I expect they work as well as ours. Just find them local and pull the trigger on them. You wont regret it I garantee it

Local may not be an option. I'd prefer if ordering them to order from you but only if you make a buck on it. Not looking to create work for ya.

Pm me if you'd like.

Just a thought, so unless Im wrong EVERY single person here who has bought these says the wouldnt work without them again.......... Maybe its a conspiracy to F### Squish:lol:

I'm pretty well sold. Looking to pull the trigger and if they were sitting on a store shelf anywhere near me I'd probably have them. I did want some feedback on that button thing too. Conifers are pretty brushy.

I also run forestry helmets with muffs. But I'm a bit worried about how the mike will fit with the screen. The screen is quite tight to my face near my chin. But I figure I could work that out.

You should have no issues with the mic and screen squish. The adhesive does suck but that is easy to fix. It's a no brainer just pick a pair up already!

Page two shows my post where y can see the mic. I dont feel that it would be in the way of a sheild at all.

Lol it was your pics that made me think it would. I appreciate those pics btw. If I jut my chin out it touches my screen when down. Today when I was thinking about it at work it seemed like it'd be a real tight fit to have that mic in there. I'm sure I could work around it. Either mod the screen a bit or try a different one. I've had other screens/hard hat combos that weren't as tight as my current.

I'm getting them. Just have to figure out from where. Beauty of being Canadian eh. I'll probably be in for a hundy more than you guys down there by the time it hits my post office. If not more.

So I found a Canadian biker online store they're $200 a piece as in $400 for two plus tax shipping. Close to five bills.

I hate shopping and ordering online with retailers I'm unfamiliar with.

Easy fix would be just put s limiter on the bracket that stops the mesh arm from coming down all the way. You can put the mic where ever, sometimes its near my ear.:lol:

Ok I've found some decent pricing. Gonna pull the pin I think and then wait the upwards of two weeks it takes anything to get here. Stoked on this seems like it could be revolutionary. Another edge on my comp.

Yup the velcro sux I just drilled 2 small holes in my helmet and ran a zip tie around it and have had no problems since.... Dont feel too comfy doing it to other peoples helmets though.

And butch, I always said that shit about hand signals only. Bought the smh-10's anyway. I've heard more comments since then on our level of professionalism because I don't even have to look at the crane op any more. Just say what I need. Plus I have two free hands, I can hold a limb with one, choke the tree with my other hand and a choker and still tell the op what I need. And we can talk all day about whatever, or just turn it off and make it quiet and someone can buzz in If they need you.

I drilled and bolted also. Not too happy with the wiring into the ear defenders though, some abrasion damage to the sheath, anyone got a better method?
IMG_0737.jpg IMG_0738.jpg IMG_0739.jpg

OK, so i got the SMH10's with the universal mc and have been using them for the last week including a crane job. First, they are very high quality. they dont feel cheap at all. They were simple to install on our Stein helmets though my installation was a little messy because i was all amped up like a kid on Christmas morning. i did have some issues mounting them in my ear defenders because the inside is concave. Ended up using the speaker pads to create a "flat" surface for them to stick to. That works. I mounted the mike on the side of the ear defender so that I could transfer the whole unit to another hardhat if i need to. I travel around to eight operations and work with a lot of different crews so being able to transfer the set is a plus. Nobody wants to wear someone elses manky old hardhat. The adhesive between the mic and the velcro is terrible. Thinking about supergluing it to the ear defender.

I also just got a set of the 10R's, and i like the low-pro part but transferability will be an issue. I used them on a crane job this week where i had to work from a man basket. That really sucks--like wrestling a St. Bernard while trying to do tree work--and I can confidently say that these saved a ton of time and effort. if i had to communicate with the operator with hand signals, it would have been ten times worse. the crane operator was skeptical at first and didn't much like wearing one of our hardhats but was sold by the end of the day. I'll probably pick up one of the headband models for the crane operator.

Performance is generally excellent. Range is nowhere near 900 yards but plenty as long as you have a clear line of sight. probably more like 350. Sound quality is pretty darn good as well. When someone has the intercom on and is running a saw you can hear the saw but you can also clearly hear the person over the noise. same with the chipper. I could even hear the crane operators phone conversation when he left the intercom on and the mike was pulled away.

All in all, very satisfied. i would expect to see these become commonplace.

Thanks everyone for bringing these to my attention. We have been looking for something like this for a long time.

I just popped off the outside part of the muff. Drilled a small hole and notched the edged out to match the hole. Insert wire and reinstall outside of muff. Pretty easy really!

Back