Helmet comms

cory

Tree House enthusiast
I saw this mentioned in the ocgd thread but thought it could use a dedicated thread cuz there is alot to it.

I use quality walkie talkies on crane jobs and they are decent but far from perfect.

I've heard ear tec mentioned, Paul mentioned Sena, I'm just wondering what the various options are out there and the pros and cons.

I'd like something that is effective in all ambient sound environments, easy to use and charge, still has good hearing protection, and affordable wouldn't be bad too.

Cory give me about a week and I will have kask helmets all set up with coms all set up out of the box. 3 weeks ago I lent my helmets out to a budy doing a blind crane job and now he has to have a set. Ive got to sit down and tally the costs but it looks like they are going to run about $350 per helmet. The thing I love about them other than the ability to talk to my groundy like hes right next to me is when you are cleaning up or grinding stumps you can listen to music.

Price includes visor which IMO is required

It would be great if there was a video demo, somehow, that demo's the ability of the different set-ups.

At Parks, we are looking for some, too. Every time we have to do a tree where not being able to communicate quickly and easily could result in a building being crushed if things go south, or the like, I think how much hands-free radios would be a good Investment, with a capital 'I'. The 2-second delay in calling for a pull could be all it takes. I had my walkie talkie pop off where it was clipped to my collar three times while pounding wedges. Any place else, and I would have had to fish it out of a pocket. I keep hearing that they're 'so expensive'. Try a new building, or even a power panel when self-insured, which is much less than a serious injury.

Instead of just showing a picture, have a video clip of them in use, demoing how it can help in communication, what kind of noise cancelling is possible, etc.

I have to sell the radio purchase to people higher up that often have the response of "couldn't your just...".

Video demo??

Instead of just showing a picture, have a video clip of them in use, demoing how it can help in communication, what kind of noise cancelling is possible, etc.

I have to sell the radio purchase to people higher up that often have the response of "couldn't your just...".

Yes, I understand the value of video content... I was playfully hinting that it could be done, and leaving it out there as to who could do it?

Paul, you def. now have me interested in those Sena's.

Now, what if a guy doesn't want to use the system, does the mic stow away easily, or can be removed?

I am there too. Especially since I am down to one helmet and need to buy a couple more. Comm is really important to me.

Dave, Ive been interested in the SENA line since I saw them posted on TB. Do you have an pics/video of them installed in your helmets/hardhats? Unlike a full face helmet, routing wires seems a little harder to do. Zipties down the earmuffs?

Dave you are a joy8) Just ordered 11 pairs of SMH10s.. Sena is not an easy co. to set up vendors agreements with. In all reality the main reason Im offering the SMH10s on the kasks is because I love mine and evidently everybody else that has tried mine loves them too. Cant imagine how those new ones can be better...

Shoot unless the new ones are less likely to change channels when you hit the big circle button...... Hmm....... That is annoying....

Dave I was all happy there for a bit.....

Paul, that system of yours was amazing ... a real eye (ear) opener. I only had a brief chance to use it but what a wonder to be able to communicate so well over all the noise. :)

Hi, Evan. I have been using a different model of the Sena line, the SPH10, than the ones Paul is talking about helmet mounting. We have been very pleased with these small, lightweight units as the communications are full duplex and crystal clear. They are not in earmuffs so it is necessary to wear earplugs. The way Paul is going to mount them, with the speakers inside the earmuffs will be much better.

Dave

http://www.senabluetooth.com/products/sph10.php?tab_menu=overview

Paul, what can I say, I'm here for you. :) The new R models are electronically the same, with the same speakers and mics, they just separated the battery to make the main unit smaller. Bumping the control buttons is something that just happens, even on our little over the ear models. It is not a big deal compared to the quality of the communications.

Dave

heres kinda a demo of the comms. Wife is on the wheel loader pulling over an oak with a back lean that I stripped out the side so we could fell it.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrzYkyjFFqo&feature=youtu.be

FYI you cannt hear me shouting, thats the mike of me talking.....

EDIT not a really impressive video but how can you make a movie of comms?? Maybe I could make one of me in a tree telling Robby to chip faster chip faster and watching him hustle......

White I have. Still waiting on backordered visors but DMC says he prefers the mesh ones anyway so I may give them a whirl. Hopefully by the end of this week Ill have them available......

Back