Helmet comms

The R battery unit needs silicone... I got a gun load. The mic attachment on the R or older need the silicone treatment as well. The double sidedd sticky stuff just falls short.

The SMH10R's come with a very strong double sided tape, I use this to attach the unit. An extra, included, piece of the double sided tape I trim and use to attach the boom mic.

I use a glue gun to attach the battery and hold in place wires at various spots. Easy to remove and like the silicone idea a bit flexible. The newer R units have a square battery in a curved plastic holder, which I discard.

Someone got a pic of their mounting? I'm going to have to order a new set and am thinking about going with the r's.

Ordered up a dual pack of SMH-10. Mounted them too night to my Pacific and a standard hard hat for a ground person when I use one.

Thanks for the heads up. I snugged them down to the point I couldn't move them by hand. But was thinking I should cut some rubber pieces to fill the gap and take pressure off the end of the bracket.

I always torque them using the using the short end of the Allen to hold and just finger tighten. Bback up the. Mic Velcro with a zip tie

Looks cool. I just ordered 2 Headsets a couple weeks ago. So far it's definitely been worth it. Saves a lot of hollering while 90 ft up and equipment running everywhere. I like the 10 radio stations on the app idea. Going to look into that.

I have had up to 5 going.
Great tool. I have replaced about all the units and parts at least once since 2014 o r 15.
The units are reasonable on line as are the helmet mount kits.

If and when you get tired of the boom mics or if they eventually fail, buy a couple universal kits and put the mic up into the helmet. You will be pleased with the exception of when the modded saw or chipper is running. But volume control works ;)
The universal kit comes with both the boom mics and the stick on one. SO you have some back up booms if needed.

For anyone not committed to an older model yet these new 50K sound good. Music is supposed to come through better - base. The R model with buttons rather than jog dial is supposed to great with gloves and heartier.

Ahh, and best of all no struggle to keep them connected.

Are there any more budget options? That's something I could use once in a blue moon, so ~$300 is hard to justify.

I'll have to give some thought into rigging something myself. A phone would work for communication, but I'd want something that went under noise muffs, and had some kind of noise canceling mic. So, something like a wired connection, or short range bluetooth. I'll hit up amazon later, and see if anything looks interesting.

Are there any more budget options? That's something I could use once in a blue moon, so ~$300 is hard to justify.
I was in the same boat and pulled the trigger. My crew is me and one other guy at the moment and thought long and hard about buying a comm system as we really don't need one but in the hand full of times where it would be handy is why I pulled the trigger. My guy is good but lacks the ability to read my mind. I know laugh but it's true. I can usually look at a guy aloft and think a step or two ahead of whats going on. He needs me to tell him what to do in the more technical situations other than that he is golden. I never have to tell him what to do next as far as staging or clean up.

The problem is loud environments; mainly construction sites. I don't know if the noise cancellation on a phone is good enough, especially when it has to be some distance from my face(hands free). I don't need comms for treework. I don't have anyone to talk to there.

Back